"Sophos Home" Antivirus - First impressions

Hello Tony,

I got shot of Avast and McAfee, AVG is however troublesome thinks AVG Protection is still installed even if it is not [I uninstalled it ] but I will figure out how to get rid of it . It did not , however, stop Sophos installing anyway so now have it up and running thank you for all your assistance.

I'll be honest, I really thought you were having me on, I was wrong, sorry.
McAfee is normally the troublesome one to get rid of.
To fully uninstall AVG you need the AVG Remover (I think it's the first one in the list)
For McAfee you need THIS tool, I have used this for their Internet Security suite with 100% success.
Both not only delete the instalation, they also clean up the registry nicely.

(Or get a computer that doesn't need anti-virus........ get a MAC :p )

I'll be honest, I really thought you were having me on, I was wrong, sorry.
McAfee is normally the troublesome one to get rid of.
To fully uninstall AVG you need the AVG Remover (I think it's the first one in the list)
For McAfee you need THIS tool, I have used this for their Internet Security suite with 100% success.
Both not only delete the instalation, they also clean up the registry nicely.

(Or get a computer that doesn't need anti-virus........ get a MAC :p )

The reason you don't need anti-virus on a mac is they rarely work:01:

I also got that but did not change any settings left as installed . It actuallly popped up when I opened up this thread to see what Pearl had to say . Clearly anything written by Pearl is surely never questionable .............. well not if you value your safety and wish to avoid an ear bashing or shin kicking:eek:

I've been using Sophos Home since shortly after this discussion. It has been perfectly satisfactory until yesterday, when it began displaying a notification accompanied by a chime every time it blocked anything — every few seconds. The notification is fairly small and displays in the lower right corner of the screen, so it isn't terribly intrusive, but the chime is very intrusive.

Apparently the chime can be silenced by editing a line in the registry, but the fix seems to apply only to the paid version, not to the Home version. After finding the fix in a blog, I pulled up the registry all ready to edit, but the line was completely different from the one that the blog talked about.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a way to silence the notification chime without turning the computer sound off?

I've been using Sophos Home since shortly after this discussion. It has been perfectly satisfactory until yesterday, when it began displaying a notification accompanied by a chime every time it blocked anything — every few seconds. The notification is fairly small and displays in the lower right corner of the screen, so it isn't terribly intrusive, but the chime is very intrusive.

Apparently the chime can be silenced by editing a line in the registry, but the fix seems to apply only to the paid version, not to the Home version. After finding the fix in a blog, I pulled up the registry all ready to edit, but the line was completely different from the one that the blog talked about.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a way to silence the notification chime without turning the computer sound off?

In some A/V software in the settings is a notification setting which you can disable

In some A/V software in the settings is a notification setting which you can disable

There's a registry setting that will disable notifications in the paid version, but nothing at all in the free one, either in the registry or on the customization screen. All you can do there is tell it to ignore specific sites. I suppose you get what you pay for!

BTW, now something seems to have muzzled it. It isn't displaying the notification or sounding the chime. Makes me wonder what changed.

There is no paid version of Sophos (unless you're using the industrial version, though that runs in at many hundreds of pounds)
The configuration and settings are done from the online web-page. You have to log into your Sophos "Dashboard" at https://home.sophos.com using the credentials you used to get the download,, and click the device that should be listed (the computer it is installed on) and there ya go, you should have the control panel showing three tabs "Status", "History" and "Configure". There are vast numbers of configurations that you can change, but I'd spend some time browsing first, familiarising yourself with the various settings available.

Have a look at THIS page, full of very useful help topics.

Just an update I had from a chat with one of the Sophos guys
Hi,
Yes I can confirm that the current beta will eventually become Sophos Home Premium.
Kind regards
Nick
Though he gives no timeline the indications are that we should be free for at least another six to eight months.

There is no paid version of Sophos (unless you're using the industrial version, though that runs in at many hundreds of pounds)
The configuration and settings are done from the online web-page. You have to log into your Sophos "Dashboard" at https://home.sophos.com using the credentials you used to get the download,, and click the device that should be listed (the computer it is installed on) and there ya go, you should have the control panel showing three tabs "Status", "History" and "Configure". There are vast numbers of configurations that you can change, but I'd spend some time browsing first, familiarising yourself with the various settings available.

Have a look at THIS page, full of very useful help topics.

I've been through the configurations with a fine-toothed comb and found nothing that could control notifications. Went through them again in case I'd missed something the first time - still nothing. At least the nuisance stopped after about a day of getting by with the speakers turned off.

I had looked at the industrial version before installing the free one, thinking that it might be better, but concluded that it couldn't be that much better.

Back