Photobucket ..

BruceC

Dedicated Member
Just a heads up -
for those that use Free Photobucket to host photos.. they don't allow hot linking or remote hosting on FREE accounts anymore

Their terms changed on 26th - without warning.. there are 100's of threads on the interwebs of people who have been caught..
Whats worse is lots of DIY threads across the internet that will break and nobody will bother fixing :(

Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min.
The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account.
You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time

Read more: http://photobucket.com/terms#ixzz4lMZqiZeF

So it turns out that a lot of mates on another forum have been locked out of their photo accounts... and unless they pay the $400 "Joining/Membership" fee, their stuff has gone to god.

Wonder who their target market could possibly be?? I reckon 90% of people will just close their accounts - I did.

A lot of free software and storage companies start with free this,that and the other, after a while they bug you with adverts and pop ups saying you would be much better off with their paid for versions, then a while later you have to pay or either it stops working or it is very limited, another trick these days is to get you to rent their products, Adobe and MS Office are a couple that spring to mind, yet these products can be bought for a one off payment for much less than an annual subscription, you just have to trawl through acres of webpages to find them.

The aircraft-enthusiast site I frequent is in complete uproar over it. A LOT of us have switched elsewhere in the past couple days. I switched to Imgur.com and found it MUCH faster than PB ever was, easier to move...heck, why didn't I move before??

Someone on there also posted a list of 100 alternatives to PB.

Back