Howards cat.

amos hames

Dedicated Member
Whist watching oh look mitzis found her mother . Pearl mentions their cat. Have we ever heard about a cat before or even after.

Whist watching oh look mitzis found her mother . Pearl mentions their cat. Have we ever heard about a cat before or even after.

No Amos, it's a bit like Pearl taking Howard for a new pair of glasses, yet I can never recall him wearing glasses

What about the episode (title escapes me ) when Howard is stroking the neighbours cat and asks Pearl if she ever wanted something small about the house?
She gives him her usual withering look and says "I've got one !":46:

Short answer NO. Suspect that continuity was never a strong point for Roy Clarke although if there was one with Pearl around perhaps the cat always kept well out of sight - just to be safe. Wonder whether the cat was male of female - probably neutered by a withering look anyway ....

To be fair, many long-running shows can be found to have discontinuities if one looks close enough. It's not a phenomenon invented by Roy.

Case in point, I've been on a Red Green Show thing lately, and one of the characters, Winston, who runs the local "Sewage and Septic Sucking Services" has been found to have at least two versions of his childhood. On the one hand, his father wanted him to do something useful, while young Winston was drawn to trucks and pumps while aided by his poor sense of smell. On the other hand, he tells in another episode of how he is the third generation of his family to build up their "Sewage sucking dynasty."

It happens as writers get newer and better ideas. Sometimes.

If they did have a cat I do not believe it would have been a strictly indoor one. With as often as their door was opened so Howard could sneak out....

...........and just as Howard and the Cat were escaping you can guarantee they'd get caught by Pearl when Howard jammed the cats tail in the door . Although whilst spying for Hobbo he managed to get away by pretending his stomach was rumbling when the microphone was suffering feedback, even Pearl would know Howard pretending he was singing as the Cat was screeching with the pain was a poor subterfuge . In Howard's words " You knew it wasn't ME HOW! :08:"

...........and just as Howard and the Cat were escaping you can guarantee they'd get caught by Pearl when Howard jammed the cats tail in the door . Although whilst spying for Hobbo he managed to get away by pretending his stomach was rumbling when the microphone was suffering feedback, even Pearl would know Howard pretending he was singing as the Cat was screeching with the pain was a poor subterfuge . In Howard's words " You knew it wasn't ME HOW! :08:"

You might well whistle nonchantly with comments like that!

I can remember two episodes when the Sibshaw's cat was mentioned, but never saw one inside their house. In one episode, there was a cat walking past their next door neighbor's house.

what was the other episode
UPDATE: In the episode "Oh, Look, Mitzi's Found Her Mummy" Howard is watching Vernon Hislop's dog, and walking toward his house.
Pearl: "What about the cat?"
Howard: "I don't think he's (Vernon) got a cat."
Pearl: "Our cat, you muffin. You can't bring a strange dog in. She won't allow it."

In the episode "Hair of the Blonde That Bit You," Howard mentions the cat next door when trying to find an excuse for the blonde hair Pearl found on his clothing.

I haven't gone through both of these to the end, to see a cat stroll past their house, but I think there may be one more episode where Pearl mentions their cat. I think she is speaking to Nelly. I'll keep looking.

There is an episode that opens with Howard petting a black cat and asking Pearl if she's ever thought about getting a pet. Her response is that she already has Howard.

The "Mitzi" episode is the only time we are told they have a cat as far as I know. In fact, I've always thought it a bit odd that only a few characters on the show have or had pets. Obviously Compo with his ferrets and Wally with his pigeons and later the whippet, but that's it. The only other mentions I can think of is Howard and Pearl having a cat in "Mitzi" and another episode where Ivy talks about having a budgie at one point.

Good point. I'd forgotten about Pablo. And now that you mention it, I think Smiler having a cat and a goldfish are both mentioned once.

Apologies in advance for this, I fully expect disdain to be piled on by the bucket load:- :eek:

Auntie Wainwright had a pet section but was threatened for keeping them without a licence and took drastic action to rid herself of any evidence before the authorities turned up :-

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - perhaps she'll die!
There was an old lady who swallowed a spider,
That wriggled and wiggled and tiggled inside her;
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly;
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!
There was an old lady who swallowed a bird;
How absurd to swallow a bird.
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!...................................................................

Apologies in advance for this, I fully expect disdain to be piled on by the bucket load:- :eek:

Auntie Wainwright had a pet section but was threatened for keeping them without a licence and took drastic action to rid herself of any evidence before the authorities turned up :-

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - perhaps she'll die!
There was an old lady who swallowed a spider,
That wriggled and wiggled and tiggled inside her;
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!
There was an old lady who swallowed a bird;
How absurd to swallow a bird.
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!...................................................................
DOOOOOOHHHHHH :eek::rolleyes::39:

Smiler had a dog, and after it died he and his wife realized they had nothing left in common, so she left.

UPDATE: In the episode "Oh, Look, Mitzi's Found Her Mummy" Howard is watching Vernon Hislop's dog, and walking toward his house.
Pearl: "What about the cat?"
Howard: "I don't think he's (Vernon) got a cat."
Pearl: "Our cat, you muffin. You can't bring a strange dog in. She won't allow it."

In the episode "Hair of the Blonde That Bit You," Howard mentions the cat next door when trying to find an excuse for the blonde hair Pearl found on his clothing.

I haven't gone through both of these to the end, to see a cat stroll past their house, but I think there may be one more episode where Pearl mentions their cat. I think she is speaking to Nelly. I'll keep looking.
Second Update:
In "An Introduction to Cooper's Rules," Howard is outside doing push-ups. Pearl says "Get up off that damn floor before the cat gets you."
In the episode "Ancient Eastern Wisdom: An Introduction," the opening scene shows a cat walking by their house.

I m pretty sure there is at least one more episode where Howard's cat was mentioned. I believe it takes place in the cafe when Pearl is talking with the ladies. I will continue to search.

Back