If you are with BT for your internet

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
And you are outside or close to your contract period, it is worth calling them to get a better deal,as they have other packages not shown on the website, in the last few weeks I have managed to get one user who's was out of the contract period a upgrade to unlimited download for a similar price they were paying for 10 gig a month,another user who would be new to BT Broadband got a 18 month contract, unlimited use for £8 a month, this is of course without any line rental cost or call packages, except both did included evening and weekend calls free, and you are probably aware if you pay your line rental annually there is a big saving to be made

Another point worth watching out for is what the nice people at Plusnet do not make clear, yes their annual line rental is about £5 a year cheaper, but if you want caller display that is almost £12 a year, with BT caller display is included,also on Plusnet's latest offers of half price broadband for 12 months,you have to move your line to them and they want to sign up for 24 months,so the first year maybe half price but the second is full price and you have another 12 months before you can shop around again

Further to maltrab's post, if you phone BT Customer Services and agree to pay a year's line rental in advance, it costs £141, ie £11.75 a month as opposed to £15.99 a month.
Geoff

And you are outside or close to your contract period, it is worth calling them to get a better deal,as they have other packages not shown on the website, in the last few weeks I have managed to get one user who's was out of the contract period a upgrade to unlimited download for a similar price they were paying for 10 gig a month,another user who would be new to BT Broadband got a 18 month contract, unlimited use for £8 a month, this is of course without any line rental cost or call packages, except both did included evening and weekend calls free, and you are probably aware if you pay your line rental annually there is a big saving to be made

Another point worth watching out for is what the nice people at Plusnet do not make clear, yes their annual line rental is about £5 a year cheaper, but if you want caller display that is almost £12 a year, with BT caller display is included,also on Plusnet's latest offers of half price broadband for 12 months,you have to move your line to them and they want to sign up for 24 months,so the first year maybe half price but the second is full price and you have another 12 months before you can shop around again

And after all that, PlusNet are owned by BT.

I also find this odd that a company now owned by BT can offer much better deals and have a UK call center,how long this will continue I do not know,and most of their contracts are 12 months,BT insist on 18 months for broadband yet only 12 for line rental,leaving you 6 months adrift if you want to move to another provider,a very clever move by BT

Four years later and it is still a complex market, the cost of line rental has crept up in those four year by £4.00 a month (On BT) and the annual line rental benefit is lower, for some time now unless you pay extra you only get free weekend calls, they have dropped the evening deal, the cost of calls outside any deals has rocketed,all aimed at you giving them more money for included calls.
I make all my calls via the internet and have done for some years, it averages out about £25 a year and includes some overseas countries, this is much cheaper than the current offering of £90 a year from BT for UK calls, though they have dropped the price from £114 from last year.
Who ever supplies you line and Broadband it is always best to call them about a month before your contact is up and see what deals they can offer,and if they won't cut a deal then change to another provider, though avoid sellers like Post Office and Talktalk

I haven't had a landline for over 15 years. I get my internet from Sky because it's cheaper with their tv, l use my mobile for phone calls but if possible I'll email but if calling abroad I use WhatsApp, I use WhatsApp for all commnication with family now. I only regularly use text for my brother because he's a caveman and can't use technology. To be honest I don't really like anyone that much that I need to keep in contact with. And I wouldn't touch talktalk with a cattle prod

Back