Belated Report

Cloggy

Dedicated Member
Sorry about the delay on our experience on our visit to Holmfirth.

Since, I got home i've been swamped with visits to my GP and Hospital appointments,
every Doctor i've seen has led to another visit to another Hospital.

We really enjoyed our visit to Holmfirth, we stayed at the Sunnybank Boutique Guesthouse
in one of the ground floor Lodges, it was brilliant for my wife and i, and is highly recommended.

We went to the graves of Bill Owen and Peter Sallis, the houses of of Nora and Compo and Sid and Ivy's cafe.

We went on the 'Summerwine' bus tour and it was great, the people on the bus went very quiet
when we went 'up and down' some of those narrow steep roads up in hills.

You were right about the Holmfirth streets being very steep, the people of Holmfirth must have
legs like Mountain Goats to get up and down those streets.

On another matter, I ordered some items from the Summer Wine shop, but nothing has arrived,
i've emailed them a few times, but i've had no replies from them.

Has anyone idea about the Summer Wine shop?

Thank you for all your help and information about our prior visit to Holmfirth,
it really did help us and saved us a lot of stress, with our visit.

Cheers !
Cloggy

I'm glad you had a great visit. I'm not sure about delivery from the shop, i've only ever bought things from them on the day or from Sid's Cafe. Have you been waiting long? I've walked our two dogs up the rd that goes to the park where the shelter used to be a few times. I wouldn't like to do that a few times a day!

Hope you are feeling much better, I made arrangements with the shop some time back, I had the shop number, the chaps mobile and email address, he never came back to me, I hope the items you ordered arrive soon,which I am sure they will,they just aren't very good at communicating

Whenever I go to Holmfirth, I always buy a Last of the Summer Wine calendar from the summer wine shop but I've looked on their website and they don't have calendars listed down. So, I'm not sure whether they've stopped doing them. I left a message for them but they never rung me back.

We went to the graves of Bill Owen and Peter Sallis

Hello Cloggy,

It sounds as if your Wife and yourself have had a lovely time and I hope that everything at the Hospital went well . There has been a topic running since Peter Sallis's sad demise regarding the state of his grave , the last update implied that there was no real change since he was buried with no sign of a suitable reverent memorial stone to mark the grave . Can I please ask you if that is still the case and the temporary Undertaker's or Church's plain wooden cross remains in situ.

Thank you for any information you can offer . Just so you know I tried to investigate further to a point of writing to his agent to ascertain if the Family or indeed they, his Agents, had plans to commemorate him with the due reverence he deserved and basically they said it was Family Business and therefore they would not divulge anything . People on the Forum without exception , I believe, would like to see something suitable in place on similar lines to what is there for Bill , unless of course his Family don't wish to draw attention to it .

Yes, I do hope your trips to the doctors went well.

If you all are talking about the Summer Wine shop at the Cafe. I too am a victim of them not getting back to ya. Sent them an email months ago from their website asking if they shipped overseas and roughly what the postage might be. No response.

I have thought that the park bench with the Wallace character that went up for auction recently. Which was discussed in a post not long ago would have made a nice tribute to Mr Sallis if placed in the vicinity of his grave. True, the character on the bench is Wallace and not Clegg but it is still a very likable recreation. If the artist could also have done a figure of Compo in an equally likable recreation on the same bench that would have been grand. Or if the artist could have done Clegg instead of Wallace in an equally likable recreation. The both of them relaxing on a bench near their final resting site overlooking the Holmfirth they cared so much about. I don't know what the view from the churchyard is but I hope it is a nice one of the Holmfirth town and valley / countryside.

Hello Cloggy,

It sounds as if your Wife and yourself have had a lovely time and I hope that everything at the Hospital went well . There has been a topic running since Peter Sallis's sad demise regarding the state of his grave , the last update implied that there was no real change since he was buried with no sign of a suitable reverent memorial stone to mark the grave . Can I please ask you if that is still the case and the temporary Undertaker's or Church's plain wooden cross remains in situ.

Thank you for any information you can offer . Just so you know I tried to investigate further to a point of writing to his agent to ascertain if the Family or indeed they, his Agents, had plans to commemorate him with the due reverence he deserved and basically they said it was Family Business and therefore they would not divulge anything . People on the Forum without exception , I believe, would like to see something suitable in place on similar lines to what is there for Bill , unless of course his Family don't wish to draw attention to it .

The plain wooden cross remains in situ along with a flat cap on top of it,
it seems a shame that the memorial to a fine man and actor is a 'plain wooden cross'
that looks like a temporary measure, which i hope is replaced with a more fitting headstone very soon.

Thank you for the update Cloggy albeit upsetting, because you begin to wonder if like his character Cleggy , Peter Sallis requested no fuss in his will and so no fitting memorial tribute may never be placed . If that is factually inaccurate then if his Family cannot provide for such a memorial you would hope his Agent would do the decent thing.

I arrived in Holmfirth this afternoon and I've been up to the churchyard already. As Cloggy says, the plain wooden cross is still in place with the a flat-cap hung over it. When we were here last September (2017), we actually met a man who worked for the local undertaker and he told us that there were only 7 people at Peter Sallis's funeral and he had specially requested it that way. So, it seems that he might have wanted his headstone to remain a simple memorial, much as we would all like to see something more fitting.

Thank you for the update Louise given the information you have provided it perhaps reflects not only his character but Peter in real life understated and avoid any sort of fuss . I suppose then his family, friends and Agent are undertaking his wishes and therefore we will be unlikely to se any memorial stone . In mitigation it is so touching that Holmfirth and I guess Bill Owen had such a big influence on Peter that he wanted to be buried in the area and next to his best friend from the show.

Its a happy and sad story that they had such great respect for each other to want to end up together, but also I find no headstone a little bit strange yet also (having trouble putting into words) not exciting, but intriguing in the fact he didnt see himself as a 'STAR', saw himself just as a normal working class bloke who doesn't deserve all that lime light...
I guess we will never know - which adds to the story!

Yes, I've felt that perhaps it was Peter Sallis' wishes that the grave be adorned plainly. The only person who could really clarify that would be his son, but I have to assume at this point that this is what was intended.

I do hope that Peter Sallis will get a proper headstone. He deserves to have a proper one as he was the only actor from the original cast to appear in the programme to the very last series.

I do hope that Peter Sallis will get a proper headstone. He deserves to have a proper one as he was the only actor from the original cast to appear in the programme to the very last series.
Usually, it's the family or executor of the estate who is in charge of arranging for the headstone. So, whatever the reason might be -- it seems that we can only hope for the best and be thankful for small things. A wooden cross isn't bad. I'm sure that Peter is looking down from above and shaking his head.

Back