Windsor Davies

My god how powerful was that voice of his!!! If he yelled near me I think I would have curled up in a ball and hidden!!!

It aint half hot mum was also another brilliant Perry Croft show

'He retired from acting in his 70s to live in the south of France, near Toulouse, with his wife of 62 years Eluned who died in September '
I find it interesting how many people pass not long after their partners like this... At least they are together again, 62yrs is a hell of lot longer than any modern marriage will ever last!

Great Actor remembered for it Aint Half Hot Mum and Carry On but so much more , he even had a Number one single with Don Estelle [Lofty from IAHHM] with Whispering Grass, made famous by the Inkspots , although to be fair Don Estelle was the singer Windsor voiced parts of the song in his Sergeant Major Williams role .

He made Never the Twain, which was quite successful, with that other great theatrical "shouter" Sir Donald Sinden. When you look him up he had a very long and diverse career starting in the early 60's , the role of Sergeant is a regular occurrence however, but for example he played the role of the Monk in Canterbury Tales. I think he would have been a shoe in for a role as one of the three main leads in our beloved show but as far as I know I suspect he was never asked.

As I mentioned in the thread about LOTSW actors and actresses who are still alive often you don't hear anything about these stars who brought us such pleasure until they so sadly pass away and this is yet another example . A very sad loss.

More sad news, another comedy legend gone.

He was so funny in It Ain't Half Hot Mum. This show needs repeating, it is as funny and as educational as Dad's Army.

He was almost equally as famous for Never the Twain.

He usually played native Welsh characters, though was particularly funny as a Scottish sergeant wearing a kilt whilst swinging on a rope across a thistle patch, with 'hilarious consequences', in Adolf Hitler - My Part in His Downfall.

Other high spots include Carry On Behind, Carry On England, Confessions of a Driving Instructor and The Grand Slam.

Windsor Davies will never be replaced - the ultimate Sergeant Major.

Last edited:
Not forgetting Blamire also appeared in"It ain't half hot mum"

Who can forget the snake belt on the Turban . On the news yesterday there were tributes but several of the PC brigade brought up the fact that the show has never been shown in the UK because of the content and the fact Michael Bates character was Indian but played by a white English Actor although Michael was born in India . Like many comedies it was from a different era when things were deemed acceptable that are not now but for those who feel they want to "park that argument" they are free to make up their own minds and watch it on DVD.

I can see nothing racist about It Ain't Half Hot Mum.

Michael Bates played his part well with comedy and total professionalism.

The fact that he played the role as "Blackface" which is not acceptable now and the fact they hired Dino Shafek and Barbar Bhatti , both are of Asian Descent, and they should have employed another actor of Asian descent to play the role Michael Bates performed , are always cited as why the show is not shown.

It all seems a fuss over nothing.

In the 1970s there weren't many Asian actors in the UK.

Michael Bates' nationality was Indian, British Raj.

And was seen to be doing something called 'acting'.

He played an Indian bearer.

Actors wear make-up to suit the part they are trying to portray.

Why can't someone darken their skin to look like a character they are trying to portray?

After all, there is nothing wrong with darker skin.

He could have played the part without make-up.

If so, would his performance have been compromised?

It's a shame they didn't have a few shows on as a tribute. Tv has a similar problem with the Goodies too. Doesn't seem to be a problem with showing actors doing similar things in Carry On films... Bernard Breslaw etc. They could have shown Never the Twain.

It's a shame they didn't have a few shows on as a tribute. Tv has a similar problem with the Goodies too. Doesn't seem to be a problem with showing actors doing similar things in Carry On films... Bernard Breslaw etc. They could have shown Never the Twain.

There are the later It Ain't Half Hot Mum episodes, without Michael Bates, too.

Back