Norman Clegg, from 1973 to 2010.

It's a while since I asked and as there was another thread regarding the memorial to Bill Owen but has anyone been near St John's church lately ? I just wonder if anything has been done regarding Peter Sallis's grave or does it remain with the temporary Wooden cross that was placed there at his funeral?

It's a while since I asked and as there was another thread regarding the memorial to Bill Owen but has anyone been near St John's church lately ? I just wonder if anything has been done regarding Peter Sallis's grave or does it remain with the temporary Wooden cross that was placed there at his funeral?

I was wondering this, too.
I'm hoping to visit Holmfirth this summer so will definitely be paying a visit to St John's churchyard too.

From what I can gather no, there is no headstone in place.

Last edited:
Bruce,

I thought we had concluded that merely as an assumption. I contacted his agents and enquired regarding the position and was given short shrift stating it was a Family matter [ The content of my email was nothing but reverent in respect of the whole situation] and that's where we concluded the posts .

I cited on the site, but not in the Email, that the situation was similar to that of Cilla Black whose grave had been left is disrepair by her family only for the press to get hold of it and in essence ensure that appropriate action was taken to ensure the situation was remedied . It was an uncomfortable situation I would not wish on anyone and certainly not the rightly revered Mr Sallis.

I went there some 6 months ago and nothing had changed. I would also like to mention that Holmfirth was getting much like it was when the series started(i.e: run down)as opposed to neat and tidy as the series went on. A big shame this.
For the last couple of years I've been following and donating to the clean-up and spruce-up work of Holmepride https://www.facebook.com/holmepride/. The photos posted before and after each project show that although they have a limited number of volunteers and limited funds, they've done wonders with the available resources. I'll be there for a week in the fall, and plan to tour the results of their projects.

Before the organization formed and began its work, the town was slipping back toward its 1970s level of scruffiness, but now at least some areas have been greatly improved. There has been some opposition to their work, though. For instance, they planted a small orchard of donated dwarf fruit trees in Victoria Park for the entire town to harvest from, but the next morning when the crew returned to do routine care they found the entire orchard cut off with loppers a few inches from the ground. They've crowdfunded to purchase replacements and have worked with the police force to increase patrols through the park.

In another instance of opposition, they polled the residents in the immediate area of the park for their preferences for further improvements. One resident replied to the effect that the completed work should not have been done and no more work there should be considered, because an inviting area "attracts all sorts". Apparently that resident considers any inviting public area an attractive nuisance, like homeowner's insurance classifies a backyard swimming pool.

Last edited:
Back