There Goes the Groom

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Always wondered if in this special with Drinking & Driving advice these days if they would of done Barry's being well oiled and feeling really rough,then a few hours later driving around would of been scripted differently, why did Glenda not say to him Barry you will probably still be over the limit, I will drive ?

I've noticed that too, I think it was an over site by Mr Clarke. Also interesting that in the first series there were a few scenes of people leaving the pub and getting in the drivers seat, Getting Sam Home also, Sid left the pub and drove the van. I know when it was pointed out that Pepper Pig wasn't wearing a seatbelt in the back of the car some poor devil had to go back a graft in a seatbelt in all the scenes. Didn't someone have to cut out all the scenes of Tom and Jerry smoking? I seem to remember that. I'm surprised they haven't done that with all programs now.

Yes, these things do strike a jarring note to us who are very safety-conscious - mind you, normal driving rules seem to have been a bit relaxed in the Summer Wine world, when one considers Edie Pegden having the freedom of the highways...

Imagine the headlines "Drink driver hijacks police car on drink fueled chase" but that's what happened in The Crowcroft Challenge :rolling::rolling::rolling:

Those two police officers spend lots of time finding quiet places to grill and/or places where they could not possibly detect a crime. Nobody has to worry about driving drunk, driving stupid, or failing to use a seat belt. I heard that in some English towns years ago, the town constable would be in the pub having a lovely time and never actually notice how anyone actually got home.

Those two police officers spend lots of time finding quiet places to grill and/or places where they could not possibly detect a crime. Nobody has to worry about driving drunk, driving stupid, or failing to use a seat belt. I heard that in some English towns years ago, the town constable would be in the pub having a lovely time and never actually notice how anyone actually got home.
There is a UK saying 'Bobby's Job' which means a really easy task or career which isn't very challenging and what you describe is where the saying came from. Sadly it's not the case anymore our police all have a really challenging job and are under resourced.

There is a UK saying 'Bobby's Job' which means a really easy task or career which isn't very challenging and what you describe is where the saying came from. Sadly it's not the case anymore our police all have a really challenging job and are under resourced.

My son in law is a police officer, they work damned hard and it's dangerous work.

Last edited:
Well, just been watching "Who's That Looking Sideways at Nelly" from series 30 and things had improved by then (on the drink-driving front, anyway) as the men won't let Barry consider driving when very drunk - although Hobbo driving with his neck locked in a sideways position is arguably not much better!

Back