1 Year since

It is simply so disappointing on a new level that this great actor of our times, not only in our show but as the voice of an Oscar winning animated character that people instantly recognise, yet he rests in peace unknown to anyone visiting Bill Owen's shrine its nothing short of disgraceful .Surely the ground has now settled sufficiently to have a headstone in position.

It is simply so disappointing on a new level that this great actor of our times, not only in our show but as the voice of an Oscar winning animated character that people instantly recognise, yet he rests in peace unknown to anyone visiting Bill Owen's shrine its nothing short of disgraceful .Surely the ground has now settled sufficiently to have a headstone in position.

I am wondering if their is anyway to find out if the remaining family member has any intention of providing a headstone

Saw a program called "top of the box" recently where I think it was Tom Owen saying that Peter and Bill had made an agreement years ago that they both would be buried together. I hadn't realized that! I knew Bill had that wish to be buried in Holmfirth but not about Peter.
In fact it was only just after his death, and coincidently just before my visit there last year (Where has the time gone??) that I found out about his grave...and of course visited it (thanks Terry!)
I remember we both were disappointed in Peter's grave site at the time. It seems nothing has changed and that is a great pity!

I am wondering if their is anyway to find out if the remaining family member has any intention of providing a headstone

His son Crispian seems to have a Facebook Account I unfortunately don't would probably be impertinent to post something on his wall and I suppose there is every chance he is not active . His agents were Jonathan Altaras and so I bit the bullet, wrongly or rightly, and sent them a diplomatically phrased Email enquiring if they have any news of what is to happen with Peter's interment . I will let you know if they respond even if they tell me to mind my own business.

It isn't an unmarked grave, although it isn't marked as impressively as it would be if there were a monument. The plaque attached to the cross placed by the funeral home has his name and birth/death years on it. It's fairly obvious because those are the only two graves in that part of the churchyard.

Even though his grave is not marked as impressively as the others, the good news is that if you're in Holmfirth, you can still visit the grave site.

It isn't an unmarked grave, although it isn't marked as impressively as it would be if there were a monument. The plaque attached to the cross placed by the funeral home has his name and birth/death years on it. It's fairly obvious because those are the only two graves in that part of the churchyard.

Marianna ,

I understand that there is some identification, but whilst Bill Owen's grave shows him due reverence Peter's most certainly does not in it's present state .We just have to hope that his family feel compassionate enough to afford him the esteem he so richly deserves . I looked up his former agency and have sent them a mail . I don't wish to sound callous but Peter will have no doubt earned them a significant amount of money over the years and if his family do not wish or indeed cannot afford to furnish the grave with an appropriate memorial his Agent should do the decent thing and pay for it out of respect.

When Cilla Black sadly passed away the red top press got hold of a story about the state of her grave and effectively shamed the family or Agent [not sure who] into providing a fitting tribute and tidying the area up . I would never advocate undertaking action of that type because it is inappropriate . We just have to hope that it is resolved in the near future . In the end of the day it really is not our business but as true fans of the show and admirers of Peter's work I think we just want to see him laid to rest in a fitting manner.

All,

I received curt response from his agent

thank you for your email.
This is a private family matter.
Yours sincerely,

So I guess we will have to be patient and hope that Peter did not request a simple marker within his will and at some juncture a suitable tribute will adorn his grave.

Back