Barry & Glenda's home

MrMike

Recently I've been driving my mum around areas where they filmed scenes for Last of the Summer Wine. Driving past where they filmed Seymour's home, White Horse and Butchers Arms pubs, Barry & Glenda's home, then a ride through Holmfirth itself. We're both curious to know if the interior scenes for Barry & Glenda's home are filmed in a studio, or on location where the external scenes are filmed. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

What a great thing to do to drive about and see the sights of the show. Have you taken any pictures you can share? Very nice of you to be taking your mom along.

Sorry for not having an answer for you on Barry and Glenda's house. I figure someone on here should know. I do like their house.
Cheers and Welcome to the forums, Mike! :18:

Rick

Recently I've been driving my mum around areas where they filmed scenes for Last of the Summer Wine. Driving past where they filmed Seymour's home, White Horse and Butchers Arms pubs, Barry & Glenda's home, then a ride through Holmfirth itself. We're both curious to know if the interior scenes for Barry & Glenda's home are filmed in a studio, or on location where the external scenes are filmed. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

I used the loo in that house when they were filming,lovely couple who owned it, they do not use the interior, it is all shot in the studio's, like most of the interior scenes except for some of the pubs where they did film inside, I suppose the pubs offered the space for all the equipment they needed to film.

Thank you for the replies. Good to know the answer regarding the interior shots. My next question then is for Maltrab: how closely does the studio interior match the actual home interior? Or are they completely different?

Now that the weather is improving, we will be making more trips over to the filming locations. I'll get some pictures next time to share!

My mum and myself live less than 1 mile from where they filmed the scenes for the series 11 episode title "Oh Shut Up and Eat Your Choc Ice". Here's the Google maps link for the junction they stopped at and spoke with Eli. The garage is now gone and homes built on the location.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5...4!1skObqNXIiXXG1wrlKY0gKdA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Thank you for the replies. Good to know the answer regarding the interior shots. My next question then is for Maltrab: how closely does the studio interior match the actual home interior? Or are they completely different?

Now that the weather is improving, we will be making more trips over to the filming locations. I'll get some pictures next time to share!

My mum and myself live less than 1 mile from where they filmed the scenes for the series 11 episode title "Oh Shut Up and Eat Your Choc Ice". Here's the Google maps link for the junction they stopped at and spoke with Eli. The garage is now gone and homes built on the location.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5253845,-1.6676949,3a,75y,315.8h,81.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skObqNXIiXXG1wrlKY0gKdA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I believe most of the home interiors are completely different, for example Cleggs and Howard's house in the later series, in reality on the ground floor of these houses are the kitchens, the living room is on the 1st floor, same with Nora's house,there is just the kitchen on the ground floor, Auntie's shop was a empty room dressed externally and in the window, Edie's house was just a one bedroom home, I was told they never actually filmed anything internally for the homes, and for TV they could make the internal houses design and layout to whatever they wanted in the studio

When designing the set to represent the interior of Barry's and Glenda's house, I've always wondered why the dining room furniture was at the opposite end of the lounge from the serving hatch through to the kitchen. Since it was only a film set, they could have easily made efficient sense of the layout and saved Glenda some steps. That niggles at me every time I see it!

I agree Marianna. I often thought it odd that the kitchen seemed to be tucked away behind the stairway.

I used the loo in that house when they were filming,lovely couple who owned it, they do not use the interior, it is all shot in the studio's, like most of the interior scenes except for some of the pubs where they did film inside, I suppose the pubs offered the space for all the equipment they needed to film.
When they were filming Pigeon and Post, Bill Owen, sadly was very ill, and they were pushed to get the filming done so they actually used the Cafe for interior shots.

I agree Marianna. I often thought it odd that the kitchen seemed to be tucked away behind the stairway.
Probably something to do with camera angles, camera placement, ease of moving equipment around, setting up shots, lighting, etc. If you think about it, does the camera ever actually move? And she is rarely in the kitchen.

I always found it amazing that they filmed everything on just one camera, so the amount of times it had to be moved to get another persons dialogue

I find that incredulous but I suppose that although technology was starting to develop methods of filming the exponential increases would never been as great as they are now . Imagine what they could have achieved with Drones .

I find that incredulous but I suppose that although technology was starting to develop methods of filming the exponential increases would never been as great as they are now . Imagine what they could have achieved with Drones .

Even when they moved onto digital filming,they still did it all with 1 camera, the many takes that were done from different angles was amazing, then all the editing to glue it all together, I have noticed much more drone use in film and TV over the last year, it must drop the cost of a simple flypast of a scene so much cheaper these days, I am hoping to take my drone to some of the locations in the next few weeks

Never thought about them using one camera and having to move it about so much from scene to scene. The logistics amaze me.

Terry, are you saying they used digital in LotSW? Not sure when that came in common use.

Never thought about them using one camera and having to move it about so much from scene to scene. The logistics amaze me.

Terry, are you saying they used digital in LotSW? Not sure when that came in common use.

It was around the last 6 or 7 series when it went to HD

Back