Behind the Church

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Picture from 1984, this row of houses sit behind the church at the top of those steps, in 1990 I did look at one that had been refurbished and it was not a lot of money, but it was built into the hill behind,so the only natural light was from the front, and that was not up to much, a lot of dark moss everywhere outside,even on the hotter days very little sunshine hit that spot, on top of that there was no vehicle access, so all your shopping either had to be carried up those steps, or along the cobbled street by the bookshop.

Church 1984.jpg

That is a neat place in the link, Dennis. Is 100,000 a good price for something like that? I'm a little confused on the leasehold 999 year part with a 25 annual rent. Sorry, I don't know how to add the British Pound monetary symbol with my American Chromebook.

Is there a link for the one you mentioned, maltrab? I would not mind seeing that one too.

I imagine there is parking nearby for those that have a vehicle...

Last edited:
That is a neat place in the link, Dennis. Is 100,000 a good price for something like that? I'm a little confused on the leasehold 999 year part with a 25 annual rent. Sorry, I don't know how to add the British Pound monetary symbol with my American Chromebook.

Is there a link for the one you mentioned, maltrab? I would not mind seeing that one too.

I imagine there is parking nearby for those that have a vehicle...

British real estate prices have been shockingly high for all the years I've been fantasizing about living in the UK, but £100,000 is quite pricey for one bedroom and absolutely no parking. The local bus service is very good, at least compared to a similarly semi-rural region of the US, so it might not be necessary to own a car. An owner who simply couldn't survive without a car probably would have to buy a long-term permit for a space in one of the car parks in town.

Re the leasehold: It's somewhat comparable to owning a condo in the States. You own the section of the building that you live in and pay ground rent to the land owner for the corresponding portion of the land that your part of the building stands on, £25 annually in this case. I'm not certain what happens when the lease expires, but I expect the current occupant would have to renegotiate the ground rent, and there could be other complications.

On a conventional keyboard, £ is <Alt>0163, using the numeric keypad. I've never figured out how to type it without a keypad, though, so I substitute GBP following the amount. I've never figured out how to produce $ on a British keyboard, either, so in that case I'm reduced to typing USD.

Thank you Marianna for the explanations, really helps.

I think I could do without a vehicle if the bus service is good. Would take some adjusting but I could do it. Especially since I am used to driving on the other side of the road :D. Like yourself I think it would be great to try moving over to the UK for a while. Maybe in a few more years

Sadly the keyboard of my laptop keyboard lacks a numpad, but my desktop has it. Will need to try the Alt 0163 on it.

As a US citizen not meeting any of the criteria for "indefinite leave to remain" in the UK, I could stay for only 6 months out of every 12, so unless I was willing to be a nomad around Europe for the other 6 months, it would mean maintaining two homes, one in the States and the other in the UK. That's way beyond unaffordable. The nomadic option would have seemed attractive when I was much younger, but not now, in my early 70s. All of my monitoring Holmfirth real estate prices is unadulterated fantasizing.

For me too. What about this, though: Two people, who each want to do this, equally, trading places every six months, living in a flat or house in the UK and an apartment or house in the US?

For me too. What about this, though: Two people, who each want to do this, equally, trading places every six months, living in a flat or house in the UK and an apartment or house in the US?

That would work very well for folks who didn't mind packing up and relocating twice a year. I want to settle in and become part of the community. Maybe working with Holmepride to keep the town looking tidy and polished (see https://www.facebook.com/holmepride/), singing with the local choral society (see https://www.facebook.com/holmfirthchoral) and participating in the Camera Club (see http://www.holmfirthcameraclub.co.uk/).

I'd also love to have a UK base for my usual week-long heritage tours in the UK. It would be much more pleasant to pack for only a week or so away than for my usual month or a bit more, and I wouldn't have to make difficult choices among the many interesting options to create an itinerary that would fit within a month or so. In addition, I would much rather spend money for more travel around the UK with the occasional excursion to Western Europe via the Eurostar and the Eurail system than for airfare.

I would plan to return to the States only when it's time for long-term care, as my long-term care insurance can be used only here. I've been paying premiums for it for the last 35 years, so I've invested too much to abandon it. I could keep in touch with family and friends in the States via Facetime, email and Facebook, just as I do now.

Last edited:
Back