Best last night at the proms for ages

I have watched a number of the proms this year and they are such a high standard , I really liked the Tango prom last night and the Folk Prom with the wonderful Unthanks . I loved the West side Story prom Bernstein's music is so iconic , my favourite was when Havana meets Kingston . The classical proms elements speak for themselves and are enjoyable as always , the big disappoint was the New York Sound of a City which I found tedious and switched off .

What I noticed on my third viewing was that Sir Andrews' speech was, to say the least, a little restrained, having to use prompt cards and almost visibly trying not to check his watch. As though he'd had the time restaints embedded into him!
I remember both 1999 and 2000 last nights where he gave very natural and lucid unaided speeches, and really enjoyed the banter between himself and the prommers, especially the 1999 one where he effectively gave two speeches (I think it was 1999, though it may have been 1998).

Still catching up with the Last Night events but so so impressed with Jess Gillam ,who is a Saxophone player, and wowed the crowd [and me] with her performance of Milhaud's Scaramouche . It's on the BBC Iplayer for anyone who missed it well worth !0 plus minutes of your day to watch .

Jess Gillam was on BBC Breakfast today what a talent played a few snippets live , the clarity of the music is astonishing for someone who is just 20 . She has just released her first album called Rise not just classical pieces there are songs from Kate Bush and Bowie as well as Scaramouche , which she played on the Proms . Its a must have for me disc on its way from Amazon as we speak cannot recommend it highly enough for anyone who admires huge talent.

3 Years on and Jess Gillam presenting tonight's prom and what a Prom !!! National Youth Orchestra playing a new piece by Danny Elfman modern day composer extraordinaire plus one if not my all time favourite piece Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue what a wonderful concert thus far recommend it to anyone who has a couple of hours to spare.

Back