Compo sculpture revealed

Thankyou for that Sarkus,I had no idea this was happening and I'v just got in from work and missed the news with it on,when I find out when it is unveiled I will see if it is my day off and will go,I am so pleased at this news,its made my night,thats what I love about this forum,I would never have heard about this.

I havn't found out when yet,but its going to be placed in the Memorial Gardens,thats the beautiful little park with the flowerbeds where the web cam is,the last photo on my Victoria Park batch of photos.

It will be lovely situated there,it's a beautiful little park,as you can see from the little bit on the webcam,and despite being next to the road it is really peaceful,its always kept in immaculate condition,lots of beautiful flowers,benches all around,the river running alongside,and you can see from the photo I put up that all the footpaths are carved with writing,when I stop for a drink or bite to eat I always come to this park,
What I wanted to ask though,when they do the unveiling ceremony,do you think anyone representing SummerWine will be there,if so,who would you ask,many cast members may be unable to go,would you ask as many as could get like Ken Kitson and Louis Emerick,and Mike Grady,Sarah Thomas,Keith Clifford etc,or would you invite Alan Bell or someone else,
It may be that they just unveil it and don't mention SummerWine or have anyone from the show,but I hope they do,
I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the unveiling date as I would love to go,
I'm going for a walk to New Mill on Wednesday and hopefully will have some photos to post Wednesday night if time before back at work thurs,
Any ideas about anyone that could be invited to represent our show please post them,I'll pass them on to the sculptor Nick Roberson and Kirklees Council and they might even consider it.
Pete.

I'm answering my own posts here,but I never thought of him before,how could I forget,
a direct link to the man and the show,
Tom Owen would be perfect.
I do hope there's a SummerWine presence.

I contacted Kirklees Council to see if they had any idea when the unveiling would take place and by who,
They said The SummerWine Exhibition and Wrinkled Stocking Tea room were arranging it and gave me their contact details,
That's good news then,that it will be a Summer Wine event and not a Council one,
I'll let you know what they say.
Off to New Mill tomorrow to have a sit on the exact bit of wall my hero Howard sat on when he got leg lock :)

I contacted Kirklees Council to see if they had any idea when the unveiling would take place and by who,
They said The SummerWine Exhibition and Wrinkled Stocking Tea room were arranging it and gave me their contact details,
That's good news then,that it will be a Summer Wine event and not a Council one,
I'll let you know what they say.
Off to New Mill tomorrow to have a sit on the exact bit of wall my hero Howard sat on when he got leg lock :)
Hello my good friend. Do you believe it will actually happen. Wont believe anything until we see a pic of statue.

Amos,
It is happening,the sculpture is complete and ready to be unveiled,
It has been on our local news,
I have asked the organisers if they would consider inviting Tom Owen and maybe some others like Cooper and Walsh and make it a proper SummerWine day,
But it is all paid for and completed,just to arrange the unveiling in the Memorial Park where the webcam is,
I will look for a photo of the sculpture now and post it.
Keep well,you are doing great.
Pete.

compo_zps5fbkgm5h.jpg

Amos,
It is happening,the sculpture is complete and ready to be unveiled,
It has been on our local news,
I have asked the organisers if they would consider inviting Tom Owen and maybe some others like Cooper and Walsh and make it a proper SummerWine day,
But it is all paid for and completed,just to arrange the unveiling in the Memorial Park where the webcam is,
I will look for a photo of the sculpture now and post it.
Keep well,you are doing great.
Pete.
Yes things are good.

Hi Adanor,
It's the sculptor Nick Roberson.It's a big chunk of local rock with just Compo's face in it,as you can see,theres a very similar sculpture to a poet by Derwent Water in the Lake District.

Me too, would like to see something like the Eric Morecambe/Fred Dibnah/Les Dawson statues, or the artist LS Lowry who we pass when we travel to Holmfirth. I think my favourites are Best, Law and Charlton outside Old Trafford !
I think it will look fine when it's in situ though.

I've got to say it, I'm disappointed.

The face is spot on; can't fault it.

By why have a piece of stone that size and not make a full statue out of it?

My immediate reaction was 'that's going to be good when it's finished'.

Shame.

Looks like someone run out of money.

Or never had enoughin the first place.

The Eric Morecambe one, which I've seen many pictires of, is superb.

As this thread was about Sculpture and Art I decided to use it to bring attention to an article about a Sheffield Artist, who is using his talent to help his local community . He decided to advertise the fact that he would exchange some of his art for donations to his local Food Bank . You will see in the article that he painted a picture that adorned the label of an empty tin which he gave in exchange for donations . It appears the queues were around the block and people brought tins by the bag full , the Food Bank are still putting them away . What a munificent and absolutely brilliant gesture:)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44779978

Good article, captain. Nice to see an artist grounded in reality and not living in an elitist bubble world.

Back