Dad's Army Remake of The Lost Episodes - Cast Revealed

I watched all 3 some characters work for me some don't . Matthew Horne does a good job as Walker , Robert Bathhurst has captured Sgt Wilson well especially the laconic delivery , Kevin Eldon has captured Jones but maybe has taken the slapstick side [although the script clearly calls for it] a tad too far. I don't think Kevin McNally captures Mainwairing's pompous nature and seems to overplay the slapstick elements . Arthur Lowe in episodes where slapstick scenes involved Mainwairing had the gift of very much underplaying that element whilst making it appears very funny but it appears as over the top with Kevin McNally .

The real misfires are Tom Rosenthal as Pike [which everyone is pointing out] , David Hayman as Fraser but by far , given his acting pedigree, Timothy West is really , really poor as Godfrey he spectacularly fails to capture the spirit of Godfrey .

Some of the supporting cast are very good in the roles David Horovitch does a reasonable Captain Square , Tracey Ann Obermann a good Mrs Pike and the brief cameo of Simon Ludders as Hodges is passable .

I suppose without the originals they make a reasonable replacement I just hope that's it and they don't have plans for further remakes of maybe episodes that appeared on the Radio Show .

Anyway that's my six penneth worth of chips about the shows ready to be shot down in flames ................................. but not with the Lewis Gun because Fraser has misplaced the butterfly spring .
Captain, where was it on?

There are many pretenders who occupied the "Dragon's Throne" over the years but they never came close to the queen of them all, I give you Ms Peggy Mount!

PM in full flow.jpg

Captain, where was it on?

Pearl,

The episodes all aired this week on UK Gold they are on UK Gold's catch up as are several Dad's Army Episodes but they are being repeated tonight and over the weekend first one is on Gold tonight at 20.00 followed by the second immediately after at 20.35 and the third at 21.20 plus of course they are on +1 an hour later . They are on again at various times on Sunday on Gold and Gold +1 and they are of course on UK Gold's catch up service .

Thank you captain, I'll check it out, it'll give me something moan about over the weekend.

I thought the shows were very well made, lots of attention to detail.

Generally the cast were good, although...
Mainwaring: Toby Jones from the 2016 film may have been a slightly better choice than Kevin McNally, though McNally does put in 100% effort, and makes a very passable Mainwaring, despite looking nothing like Arthur Lowe in real life.

Wilson: Robert Bathurst is a good choice.

Jones: Kevin Eldon is spot on here, Tom Courtney was terrible in the 2016 film.

Frazer: David Hayman was much better than Bill Patterson was in the 2016 film.

Walker: I don't think Matthew Horne was particularly good, but then who could match James Beck from the series? I can't imagine anyone playing him.

Godfrey: Timothy West was disappointing, Michael Gambon from the 2016 film was better.

Pike: Tom Rosenthal didn't seem to get into this part very well.

I would, however, welcome this team back to re-record the missing short sketches.

Last edited:
Ok I've watched the first one and have to say it's not as bad as I expected. Kevin McNally wasn't to bad but his hight spoilt it a little, wasn't keen on Pike but I was surprised by Wilson and Walker, I thought they did ok. Jones and Fraser weren't very good either but Timothy West did ok.

Back