Dark Ages (Rob Grant)

RickAns

Dedicated Member
Not seen this older show mentioned yet so thought I would give it a go. Don't think the show is well know but some may have seen it.

A medieval comedy from Rob Grant - one half of the Doug Naylor duo that created Red Dwarf. The year is AD 999 and the millennium is quickly approaching. The locals of Englaland are worried about the end of the world approaching as well as a possible invasion from the Vikings.

It focuses on the daily life of the small village of Sludgebroook . Lazy stonemason Gudrun has recently been promoted to head Churl. Can his family cope with the sudden rise of status he has been given? Will his friends continue to hang out with him for the odd cup of mead? Will King Ethelred the Unready manage to save the kingdom?

I can’t really do the show justice in describing it. It is a clever comedy in a similar vein as Upstart Crow with an air of early Black Adder. If a fan of the big Rouge One (Red Dwarf) it is worth checking out for something different by the same writer. I had rented it from Netflix long ago and finally found a used copy on eBay for a good deal and got it.

There are some familiar talent in this show:

Alistair McGowan - The Vicar of Dibley

Pauline McLynn - Father Ted

Sheridan Smith - Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps

Back