DVD release

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by calvin saxton, May 17, 2016.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. BruceC

BruceC Active Member

Brian - to me that's what hurts me the most.. That and the fact that they cant make shows like this anymore... haven't been able to for ... I cant remember but its a long tim e ago!

I really struggle to find a reason to turn the TV on anymore. the footy on the weekend, and... Umm.... ahhhh... yea that's it. :(

2. Brian Johns

Brian Johns Well-Known Member

FINALLY they have released the 2nd last box set (labeled series 29 & 30) here in Oz, just picked it up today.:)
    The final set with the last 2 series is due for release next month (Actually WHILE I am in LOTSW country!):42:

I am glad to get hold of it but of course it is tainted with the sadness that there will be no more in future:cry2:.

3. maltrab

maltrab Administrator Staff Member

Not in my one,how sad,I am missing out

4. Andrew D

Andrew D Well-Known Member

Yep, I have it on mine as well. Got it right at release date in 2010.

5. me2

me2 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure when you bought your Series 8 set, but I bought mine in April of 2013 from Amazon and that scene IS on my DVD. I don't know if they took it out later or put it back in, but I'm glad I have the scene on mine. It's a great scene.

6. Sarkus

Sarkus Well-Known Member

The only missing Crusher scene I know of is in "The Loxley Lozenge." They ran that as the holiday special before Series 8. Crusher was in the original broadcast and that version has been shown in repeats, but in the Region 1 set I have it's been removed as Crusher wasn't introduced until "Keeping Britain Tidy" later in that series. Clearly "Loxley" was intended to air later.

maltrab likes this.
  7. maltrab

I believe that's one of them chuck

8. cciaffone

cciaffone Well-Known Member

Is this the one where Crusher was missing in the opening
    scene in the Cafe in one version but there in the other?

9. maltrab

On the region 2 DVD's for the earlier series there are odd cuts, I believe one was Crusher was missing from a scene that was on the VHS version but not on the DVD release
    Though oddly in the special getting Sam home, there was a added scene not on the VHS tape

10. Marianna

Marianna Well-Known Member

The opening scene, complete with its original music, is present on the Region 2 DVD. I read somewhere that there was some US copyrighted music in the series that could be distributed on DVD in the UK but not in the States. That's why I bought the Region 2 sets and a region-free player, rather than investing in the Region 1 sets.

Rick — I'm not at all familiar with that musical genre. I wouldn't know Indian Outlaw from Achy, Breaky Heart, so I haven't particularly noticed the music in the line dancing scene.

11. RickAns

RickAns Well-Known Member

The song I am familiar with them playing during line dancing Alvin / Nora is Indian Outlaw by Tim McGraw. At least on my copy here in the States. Think I read there was a copyright concern with the other song - don't know what it was.

The only other things I have noticed between VHS / DVD and online copies are some of the 'racy' poster girl images in a few scenes had the 'best bits' blurred over. The time when the guys are in the barber shop while Blamire gets his hair cut - blurred poster. As well as when Seymour picks up Edie's garbage disposel in the metal fab shop. I also noticed this on the show Rising Damp between my PBS VHS copies of old versus the DVD's. A pinup in the guys bedroom was blurred in certain places. Probably due to the censors in the U.S. at the time. Quite possibly could be that local TV stations can edit out the bits they do not wish to show.

Is this the types of things you are asking about?

12. Andrew D

Andrew D Well-Known Member

I've known two different cases of editing differences between original broadcast and DVD releases so far, since I had taped so many seasons on VHS long before they began releasing any of the series on Region 1 DVD.

First is the opening scene of the episode where Alvin is trying to teach Nora how to line dance; the song being played on the radio/tape machine/whatever they're using is different on the DVD and the broadcast episode.

Second is the very opening scene of Elegy to Fallen Wellies; on the broadcast version there was an opening scene with the ladies practicing their dance number in the skimpy outfits in the church hall (or wherever it was supposed to be). On the DVD this scene is absent completely, and the first glimpse we have of the outfits is only of Nora and Ivy walking home discussing showing themselves to Compo.

13. Marianna

Marianna Well-Known Member

Do you mean on the Region 2 DVDs? Are they different from or in addition to some of the cuts on the Region 1 DVDs? I own the complete series on Region 2, but never having seen the original broadcast versions there's no way for me to know that I'm missing anything.

14. maltrab

I cannot recall them but there are cuts on the DVD's compared to the original Video's released

15. amos hames

amos hames Well-Known Member

welcome aboard

16. Sarkus

Sarkus Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean by "certain edits" but I do want to point out that set 9&10 is actually just Series 9 split into two DVD releases. Just so you know.

17. calvin saxton

calvin saxton Member

just ordered series 5&6, 7&8 and 9&10 does anyone know what the certain edits are on the dvds?

18. barmpot

barmpot Well-Known Member

Welcome too Calvin from me - I occasionally pop in to make sure everyone is behaving. Not that it does any good. And write a few posts ...

19. calvin saxton

calvin saxton Member

thank you both my series 1&2 and 3&4 should be with me early next week.

20. Cap n Mac

Cap n Mac Active Member

Ayup, Calvin! (Tips flatcap) Welcome!