Favourite Comedy films

amos hames

Dedicated Member
What is your favourite comedy film from any age.Mine would have to be Blazing Saddles just so many good lines and also a fan of Gene Wilder also like the other one he was in with Richard Pryor called Stir Crazy.I have never seen any of the modern comedy films such as the Hangover.I also enjoyed the Smokey and the Bandit films of the Seventies but have not seen these for years.Which are your favourite films or stars of the film comedy world.Maybe Laurel and Hardy or Buster Keaton or even old Chappers himself Charlie Chaplin.You comments please. :)

Not sure if its classes has comedy but I love Tremors, the first 1 not all the rubbish that came after, makes me laugh every time.

Yes loved Blazing Saddles.

When at school we had a film club which often showed Charlie Chaplin, Harold Lloyd shorts as well as Laurel and Hardy so I have quite a liking for those. Interestingly we never saw any Buster Keaton - I wonder whether this reflected the views of the teacher that ran it or availability due to copyright or something?

Also liked Clockwise, the earlier Pink Panther ones to name but a few.

Also grew to lie some of the Will Hay stuff - Oh Mr Porter for example: filmed in Alton in southern England but masqueraded as Buggleskelly.

i like clockwise also, my mate actually went 2 the school that was used 4 the start of the film, altho he werent there when it was filmed cause he werent even born, at the time it was called menzies high school but its changed its name a few years ago 2 phoenix collegiate

Yeah, Blazing Saddles. Loved that film. 'Telegram for Mongo'!! Brilliant. And I agree, Stir Crazy. Very funny film. Anyone seen Bridesmaids? It made me laugh a lot.

.Maybe Laurel and Hardy or Buster Keaton or even old Chappers himself Charlie Chaplin.You comments please. :)

If you like classics from the 1930's, then you must check out "It's A Gift" by WC Fields! That is such a classic. The second best full feature film by WC Fields is the "Bank Dick".

In It's a Gift, a family travels by road from New Jersey to California. For my Brit Brethren out there, an extra incentive to see this is that it give be somewhat educational, giving you a slice of life from America back then.

Then, I also love the Marx Brothers. So growing up, my father exposed me to two specific types of comedy, 70's British and 20's-40's American.

Deciding to do a second post because this message is completely different from the last. I love a lot of comedies from all decades. One that stands out as a classic is a British one; Yellow Beard!

Used to love the old Harold Lloyd short films they used to show in the eighties during the summer holidays, I read somewhere that he did his own stunts. :)

I like The Fast Lady with Stanley Baxter, Leslie Phillips and James Robertson Justice. The semi-sequel Father Came Too is good too.

I don't know how big the National Lampoon's Vacation movies are in the UK.

The first and third are particulalry good.

1. National Lampoon's Vacation- a goofy family travels across the country on a summer vacation and everything goes wrong

2. National Lampoon's European Vacation- the same family wins a trip to Europe and everything goes wrong for them in London, Germany, Paris, and Rome. My fellow Brit Brethren would especially love the scenes where the father struggles to drive in London, especially around Big Ben!

3. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation- especially appropriate around the upcoming holiday season. I highly recommend it for those wanting to see a great Christmas Comedy in December

4. National Lampoon's Las Vegas Vacation- still good, but not quite as good as the others.

There is a chance you are all already too familiar with these. If not, I recommend seeing the first one, then after you know the characters you can really enjoy the next two.

Used to love the old Harold Lloyd short films they used to show in the eighties during the summer holidays, I read somewhere that he did his own stunts. :)

I heard that too - I always wondered about the hanging from a clock high up in New York!

Worst comedy has to be the Police Acadamy series and make matters worse i hear the are making a new one.........NO.................

All I can say is that the British Humour is far better then the American one. You can watch repeats and feel like it was the first time you are watching them. The laughter is out of this world.

Carry On Films
Norman Wisdom Films
Frankie Howerd Films
and so many others.....

A good one I always liked, and by the way I'm not a movie buff, but I enjoy watching "Private Eyes". It is with Tim Conway and Don Knotts, its a little silly but a good belly laugh type film and the family can watch it.
Also if you grew up in the 50's, I didn't but my father was a greaser so I heard much about it, is a movie called "Book of Love". It was made in the 90's, there is another one that was made in the 2000's, but thats not it. It is about the hormones running wild in teenage guys and the lengths they go to get to.......well you know. I has some not so family friendly moments in it, however if you grew up with greasy hands and ornery friends in the neighborhood you might enjoy it. It reminds me a lot of my teenage years and the friends that I had during that time.

I would be a big fan of Will Hay and love his films.I also enjoy the old "Ealing Comedies" and one film i never tire of watching is,"The Sunshine Boys".Funny thing is,i was never exactly a fan of either of the leading actors but they do a brilliant job in this very funny film.

Hector.

Back