Gordon - Penny Wassail

RickAns

Dedicated Member
Watched this episode tonight and wondering who is the Gordon that Clegg called from a payphone about 3 minutes in? Norman called him to wish him a Happy Christmas while the guy on the phone instead wanted to reach the fire brigade because his shed was on fire. I'm thinking maybe that Gordon was Clegg's wife Edie's brother possibly. Anyone know for sure?

I assume it was just a friend of his. In "Pate and Chips" at the end Clegg talks about his brother in law being a member of the clergy. Although it's not a really positive mention, I've always wondered if the vicar he talks to at the beginning of the pilot was supposed to be his brother in law.

Of course its also possible that Edith had more than one brother, so who knows. ;-)

The actor who played 'Gordon' in Penny Wassail is the same actor that played the character 'Mouse' in the episode 'A Quiet Drink'. My thinking is that it is his real name and of course 'Mouse' was just a nickname. What relationship he has to Clegg I do not know. Of course I could be lying.

I had forgotten about the mention in Pate and Chips. Possible on your thoughts about the vicar, Sarkus. They seemed rather casual - Clegg offering him a smoke. I figured it was because that vicar may had done the services for Edie not too long ago. Or that Edie had dragged Clegg to church often enough for Norm to be comfortable around him.

Did not occur to me that Edie may have several brothers. Could have been an old friend he was calling. Not sure why I was thinking the person Clegg called was family.

Adrian, was thinking that Gordon in Wassail reminded me a lot of Mouse from A Quiet Drink. Knew the voice sounded about the same. Took me a bit to realize that Norm's cousin from Chase That Bottle / How to get rid of a Cousin was Ernie from In Loving Memory. Knew he seemed familiar, could not place where. Felt the same about Chris Beeny coming in too. Chris seemed to look taller standing by Thora during ILM and yet so much shorter next to Billy, Truly and others in LotSW. Made me think he was a different person for a while, all a matter of perspective I guess haha.

In Loving Memory was shown here a little while ago but not every series by how many episodes were shown. I started watching that because it starred Thora Hird and Christopher Beeny. It took me a little while to realize that Ernie was Colin Farrell who played Clegg's cousin. Great Show. I will have to see if I can get it on DVD one day.

In Loving Memory was shown here a little while ago but not every series by how many episodes were shown. I started watching that because it starred Thora Hird and Christopher Beeny. It took me a little while to realize that Ernie was Colin Farrell who played Clegg's cousin. Great Show. I will have to see if I can get it on DVD one day.

There is 37 Episodes in total, in the UK you can get the complete series from Amazon for £13 which is great value.
The other cast who also appeared in LOSW is
Paul Luty who played Malcolm
Ronald Lacey who played Walter
Timothy Bateson who played Amos
Geoffrey Bayldon who played Broadbent
Philip Jackson who played Gordon

There maybe a couple I missed

I stumbled across In Loving Memory from a few poor quality clips via youtube. Think I was searching for some other Thora Hird stuff as well. Liked it so much I bought a UK box set off of ebay for a good price. I've also picked up the UK version DVD's of Hallelujah with Thora for a decent price as well. Both sets were new and around $20 USD including shipping if I remember right.

If you like what you have seen so far of ILM Adrian I think you will enjoy the dvd box set. I rank Thora up there with Judy Dench of As Time Goes By as talented ladies. The way they can let emotions / expressions flow over their faces like you are watching real life and not scripted scenes. At least in my humble opinion anyway :).

Thora's facial expressions while she is trying to figure out as Billy is explaining why he is having trouble keeping a new girlfriend. Hilarious! As well as her poor best jelly mold. I was in tears laughing so hard! :29:

I stumbled across In Loving Memory from a few poor quality clips via youtube. Think I was searching for some other Thora Hird stuff as well. Liked it so much I bought a UK box set off of ebay for a good price. I've also picked up the UK version DVD's of Hallelujah with Thora for a decent price as well. Both sets were new and around $20 USD including shipping if I remember right.

If you like what you have seen so far of ILM Adrian I think you will enjoy the dvd box set. I rank Thora up there with Judy Dench of As Time Goes By as talented ladies. The way they can let emotions / expressions flow over their faces like you are watching real life and not scripted scenes. At least in my humble opinion anyway :).

Thora's facial expressions while she is trying to figure out as Billy is explaining why he is having trouble keeping a new girlfriend. Hilarious! As well as her poor best jelly mold. I was in tears laughing so hard! :29:

I was chatting to Christopher Beeny one day about the show, I asked him about the Jelly Mold scene, he told me that line was total ad libbed by Thora, very funny

That is fantastic, Terry! Like I told captain not long ago, I'll say it to you and I am sure to some others on here as well. It would be great to be able to have a beer or some tea with you and talk about TV shows and whatnot with ya when I finally make it over there to see Holmfirth.

That is fantastic, Terry! Like I told captain not long ago, I'll say it to you and I am sure to some others on here as well. It would be great to be able to have a beer or some tea with you and talk about TV shows and whatnot with ya when I finally make it over there to see Holmfirth.

Seems like a good idea and this time lets hope I can make it, being thwarted by illness on the last 2 occasions

I was chatting to Christopher Beeny one day about the show

Terry ,

Have you ever considered sharing your memories of filming and meeting the cast in small vignettes on the site, a bit like a written word version of Claye's Cartoon strips ? I seem to recall someone on the site[ cannot recall his name] a couple of years back making a promise to "spill the beans" about his time as an extra on the show and then sadly , for whatever reason, nothing materialised, to the disappointment of many members.

I quite understand if you were reluctant to do so but as Rick states it could be some time until he and others cross the pond to meet up and perhaps you could conjure up a " Prologue " to those hopefully face to face meetings on here.

What an excellent idea, captain! Please do, Terry. Plus any others who would care to share their personal experiences of meeting cast members of the show, etc.

Record it for posterity as the saying goes. Maybe we could have a Monthly Meanderings thread where someone shares a first hand experience about LotSW. :)

Last edited:
Talking of Extras watching Hi De Hi where they have to come up with a wheeze for the Pool , all of which is preceded with the best job ever for an Extra . It's the who can eat the most cake competition . There are 6 or 7 extras sat at a table near the Pool faced by a cream cake which must be 12 inches by 6 inches by 6 inches deep and you just cannot help laugh when they tuck in, the cake and cream is everywhere . The tag line is brilliant because the winner wins ......................... a cake . :):):)

Back