Hello from the U.S.

Emma

Dedicated Member
LOTSW has long been one of my favorite British comedies. Our local Public Television station aired occasional, random episodes of the show more than 10 years ago. Then, the series was shown in its entirety, so I have watched each episode four or fives times, including the Christmas Specials. I also have close to 100 episodes recorded on my DVR, so I can watch one or two every evening. I wanted to buy the videos, but learned the format is not compatible with American video equipment.

I live in Indiana, which is in the (so-called) Midwest of the United States. If you look at a map of the U.S., it is actually in the eastern third of America, but Hoosiers are not considered sophisticated enough to be identified with people in larger, eastern cities.

It had been my hope to visit both Cornwall and Yorkshire last summer, to see where Doc Martin and LOTSW were filmed. This year, I'll be visiting London with British Telly Club members from my area.

Hi Emma I do hope you get to come over to visit Yorkshire as I think you will love it x

Greetings and welcome Emma! Hope you enjoy the forums here. The members are a treasure trove of LotSW goodness and info.
Hope you are able to visit Holmfirth and the lovely seaside village of Doc Martin. Another great show.

They do sell the videos in DVD (and VHS) for LotSW in our NTSC format. I have ordered several via ebay and Amazon over the years. I grew up in Buckeye country, not too far from ya. How has your weather been lately?

Cheers,
Rick

Hello all. Weather in Indiana is unpredictable, to say the least. Monday, it was 13, today the high is expected to be near 70. We can go from shorts to sweatshirts in the same day.

I had planned to travel in Yorkshire, visiting Hull, Huddersfield, Holmfirth, and the Kirklees area. I won't able to see it this year, as our trip is in and around London.

I wanted to buy the videos, but learned the format is not compatible with American video equipment.

Welcome to the forum!

There are a couple of work-arounds. In addition to the NTSC/Region 1 format sets that Rick mentioned, there are also very inexpensive region-free DVD players on Amazon. They make it possible to view discs in any region's format except, I believe, 0, which is the one reserved for intercontinental airlines.

A few scenes have been cut from a few of the episodes on the Region 1 discs because of songs that cannot be broadcast in the States without paying royalties. For that reason, I bought a region-free player and only Region 2 disc sets. There's one exception, though. I have the Region 1 Vintage 1995 set because it contains "The Funny Side of Christmas", a short sketch made for a show other than LOTSW.

Hello and welcome to the Forum Emma, nice to have you on board , look forward to your comments on the threads . Visiting London does put Yorkshire out of reach although the trains are reasonably speedy , the replacement bus services are not [they are always doing track work and cancelling trains] . It would be a very long day if you to travel London - > Huddersfield [nearest main station to Holmfirth] if indeed return in a day were possible imagine you would need a Hotel for at least one night [and undoubtedly a car no real public transport around the various towns/villages per say, although if you got to Holmfirth you could always take the local Summer Wine bus tour] ] depending how much of LOTSW country you wish to see . Not quite the same but there are excellent photographs of the areas on the site which are well worth viewing.

Emma, Hi, we travel from here in North Carolina mainly to
visit North Yorkshire. I believe that last time we flew:

1: From here (RDU-Raleigh) to Atlanta on Delta.
2: From Atlanta to Manchester England on Virgin Atlantic.

We booked thru Virgin Atlantic and Delta is/was a US partner
so it was treated financially as if it was all Virgin Atlantic.

charles

Welcome Emma, another one of our members is from Indiana so you'll feel right at home here with us.

Greetings Emma, glad you could join us.

We are willing to answer your questions and be as helpful as we can.

You may notice a few strange comments - these are either where we are using local language or else it is long running "in jokes" between certain individuals. Just ask.

Look forward to your comments in due course ....

from the Pennines - just up the road from Holmfirth really - it is a day out for me.

Emma, Hi, we travel from here in North Carolina mainly to
visit North Yorkshire. I believe that last time we flew:

1: From here (RDU-Raleigh) to Atlanta on Delta.
2: From Atlanta to Manchester England on Virgin Atlantic.

We booked thru Virgin Atlantic and Delta is/was a US partner
so it was treated financially as if it was all Virgin Atlantic.

charles
Thanks for the info. Even though Indianapolis has an "International" airport, at this point there are no direct flights to any foreign destination, save Cancun, Mexico. We are supposed to get direct/non-stop flights to England and France later this year. Traveling to England from Indiana, via United, takes you through Newark, NJ. Which is better, when I considered the option of flying through Atlanta. I would rather pull out my own teeth than fly thru Atlanta's Hartsfield Airport. It seems that the world begins and ends there. Traveling to my nephew's wedding, I got on the wrong train inside the airport terminal, and ended up miles away from my departure gate. I kept thinking about that elderly woman who got lost at this airport years ago, and was never found.

Back