Herman Teasdale/Moreton Beamish

Was Herman Teasdale/Moreton Beamish a worthwhile character?

• Total voters
I thought Mrs Avery was a good character only in that it provided Nora Batty with some serious competition as regards to cleaning the steps and windows etc. I found this funnier than later discussions with new neighbour Alvin - that was just a re-hash with old Compo-esque dialogue.

Babs was certainly a strange character who was not in the spirit of LOTSW (I felt a bit sorry for the actress who played her as she got such an awful role!)
I think more could have been done with the character of Mrs Avery though, she had good moments like when she helped Glenda (and Barry) out with his customer in "Why is Barry At An Angle".

Babs was certainly a strange character who was not in the spirit of LOTSW (I felt a bit sorry for the actress who played her as she got such an awful role!)
I think more could have been done with the character of Mrs Avery though, she had good moments like when she helped Glenda (and Barry) out with his customer in "Why is Barry At An Angle".

The actress who played "Babs" (Helene Turaya), doesn't seem to have appeared in any other production, before or since LOSW.

It think Roy Clarke went through a brief phase after Compo's death trying to make the series more 'representative' of modern life and I think it failed miserably. On that subject I didn't like the storyline of Compo seeing Reggie Unsworth every Thursday, unless I'm missing something that didn't add anything to the script and contradicted his obsession with Nora Batty and almost sullied his image a little IMO. I appreciate LOTSW wasn't representative of modern day PC life but its innocence is what endeared it.

I agree with you about the Reggie Unsworth storyline - it wasn't quite in the spirit of the show. It cheapened Compo a bit really - although otherwise the trilogy was outstanding, written under such pressure at a very difficult time.

She might have had a decent enough voice in reality and just put on an act for that show?

If she had no further ventures in acting or musical theatre then perhaps I can rest my case or as you say JBCat she may have the voice of an angel . I guess we will never know ..................... and on that note, bum or otherwise, I don't think I can say anything else;)

It's odd really. When we talk about actors/characters who have a handful of appearances (ie 2 or more) we talk about Gordon from Series 3, Billy Ingleton, Fairburn the Tailor, Wainwright the librarian, Eli Woods as the Drunk - yet we never mention Babs.

This is a very interesting point wstol - other than that scene with her singing in the pub, I cannot remember anything else she did. She has to be probably the most irrelevant and superfluous character in the series. To be fair to RC, after the death of the main character some radical experimental casting may have been needed, some worked, some didn't.

I read somewhere that Roy Clarke got letters complaining about the Mrs Avery & Babs character and he later admitted they weren't in spirit of LOTSW. I've searched the web to see if I wasn't imagining it but couldn't find it??

In his book Alan Bell says Roy's original plan was for Babs to be Mrs. Avery's daughter (not her niece) and that she was going to have another daughter that was dating a much older man. Bell argued Clarke out of that approach. However, I do think it represents Roy's desire in later years to do something different with the show. I've mentioned it before, but one of the interviews online for the First of the Summer Wine website that exists has one of the actors saying Clarke told her in the late 80's that he felt Last of the Summer Wine had run its course. If that is true, imagine how he felt 15 years later!

It's odd really. When we talk about actors/characters who have a handful of appearances (ie 2 or more) we talk about Gordon from Series 3, Billy Ingleton, Fairburn the Tailor, Wainwright the librarian, Eli Woods as the Drunk - yet we never mention Babs.
I think Wainwright the Librarian was supposed to be a main character as the lads often frequented the library early on in the show. I did read somewhere that the title was going to be called 'The Library Mob'. I can't recall whether that referred to the show or an episode title.

Yes the BBC originally wanted to call the series the Library Mob as they didn't like the LOTSW title. It's interesting both Mrs Avery's other daughter and Mr Partridge have been mentioned in these threads. I've also read Alan Bells book and I think the plan was for the other daughter to be having an affair with a married man, but on reflection thought it was too racy. But ironically Mr Partridges character was very seedy and in one of the earlier episodes there was a very steamy scene when they are under the counter of the library. I think it's ironic as most viewers would have gone mad if these characters had been introduced in latter episodes!

There was racy and there was up-to-the-imagination steamy. OK, they were dipping below the counter in the library and having a tryst in the field. In both situations, they were in a public place -- only slightly alone, so what could actually happen? And then she had to get home to her husband. ON THE OTHER HAND, Tom and Mrs. Avery were obviously living together. And that was not acceptable.

There was racy and there was up-to-the-imagination steamy. OK, they were dipping below the counter in the library and having a tryst in the field. In both situations, they were in a public place -- only slightly alone, so what could actually happen? And then she had to get home to her husband. ON THE OTHER HAND, Tom and Mrs. Avery were obviously living together. And that was not acceptable.
I went to see the Summer Winos production a few months ago which broke down a lot of the misconceptions people have about LOTSW and they had a vivid description of what was probably going on under the counter which I'd never post on this forum (but I doubt the inference was they were doing a crossword!!) But the upshot is anyone who thinks the series was too dull as it was squeeky clean ought to look at the early series which were quite subversive and on reflection I think they were too!

In his book Alan Bell says Roy's original plan was for Babs to be Mrs. Avery's daughter (not her niece) and that she was going to have another daughter that was dating a much older man. Bell argued Clarke out of that approach. However, I do think it represents Roy's desire in later years to do something different with the show. I've mentioned it before, but one of the interviews online for the First of the Summer Wine website that exists has one of the actors saying Clarke told her in the late 80's that he felt Last of the Summer Wine had run its course. If that is true, imagine how he felt 15 years later!

Must try to find a copy of that book, it must be full of fascinating information.

Must try to find a copy of that book, it must be full of fascinating information.
It's an interesting read, I've read it twice, you can download it for the Kindle. It is quite bitter and that comes across in some of Alans Writing but some useful insights.

If she had no further ventures in acting or musical theatre then perhaps I can rest my case or as you say JBCat she may have the voice of an angel . I guess we will never know ..................... and on that note, bum or otherwise, I don't think I can say anything else;)

I erroneously claimed that Helen Turaya never appeared in any other role than Babs.
Just discovered that she plays Denise in the medical series, "Always and Everyone". I've never watched it (those types of show aren't my cup of tea), but looking at the photos of the cast on google, I don't recognise her in any of the pictures !

I erroneously claimed that Helen Turaya never appeared in any other role than Babs.
Just discovered that she plays Denise in the medical series, "Always and Everyone". I've never watched it (those types of show aren't my cup of tea), but looking at the photos of the cast on google, I don't recognise her in any of the pictures !
It's interesting that both the young characters were dropped, both Milbern & Babs, although I appreciate the former may have been dropped for his sudden weight loss. But I'm in split minds as to whether characters in their 20's work on the programme.

Back