If you need to Laugh

If you will indulge me I have lots of stories about my mother's driving but one would qualify as prank in the mind of the garage involved . Her good friend and my mother were out for a drive at the Coast and all the way there she could hear a rattle and banging . The company car was maintained by a Garage where they were so she took it there to have it checked . The mechanic checked it out found nothing so they set off again . As they did the rattle started again but they kept going until it became worrying so she returned to the Garage . The mechanic probably was somewhat perplexed but again checked and drove it on a short test , no rattle .

Mum and her friend climbed back in and set off again sure enough the rattle and banging came back so they returned to the Garage . By now the mechanic is looking around for Candid Camera[ today he'd be looking for his workmates filming it on their phone] . He checked again and to prove there was nothing wrong he told my Mum to sit in the passenger seat and they took it for a short test drive . To his surprise the banging and the rattle started perplexed he got out the car as did my mum and then the penny dropped.

As my Mum got out the car in her pristine cream raincoat the bottom six inches of the coat belt and buckle was jet black with dirt, oil and other substances . Every time she got in the car she had shut the door with the belt buckle and some of the belt trapped outside and it had been bouncing off the car and road as they drove along . When they returned after the test drive her friend, who had the same coat on also had a belt and buckle that was as black as Mums . Extremely embarrassed by the whole thing she quickly sped off . :)

My husband likes to tell this one story that -- you guessed it -- ends in, "... then I put it in R for Racing."

There is one positive thing about manuals. Nobody will steal them because nobody knows how to drive them.

Back