I'm not such a freak!

gothic

Administrator
Staff member
Recently joined a forum for like-minded headphone/audio enthusiasts. WOW! what an eye opener.
I thought I was a bit of a headphone freak, always upgrading in the pursuit of my headphone nirvana. I have just upgraded to a pair of AKG 701 reference grade at.... well more or less a couple of hundred pounds.
On this new forum if a pair of headphones is less than $2000.00 and the DAC (headphone amp) is less than $2500.00 then they're not worth mentioning. I cringe when mine cost more than £150.00 (do you think I'm in the wrong place)
What really amazes me is that there must be getting on for 5000 ACTIVE members globally and there are always about 6 or 7 hundred members online at any time day or night.
They spend their time talking about core drivers, spatial enhancements, wood-enhanced soundstage and the fostex algorithm. WTF????

I'm guessing my $10 set of ear buds from Lidl won't get me in the door there, haha! I got them for my new cell phone to use as an antenna for it's built in FM tuner. Seems like there are some serious audiophiles at that forum and they enjoy some serious gear. I remember when tube amps, vinyl and large speaker enclosures were all the rage.

With gear like they are talking about I bet one could even hear Foggy "He Who Walks Like A Shadow" sneaking up on his prey! :42:

The AGK 701's look like a nice bit of kit. Hope you are enjoying them.

I remember Fostex algorithm... or maybe it was Fawcett's Python? <- Rising Damp reference.

Last edited:
Yes, I do plan to upgrade my headphones to a pair that cancels noise. Hubbie likes to watch thrillers with karate noise, gunfire, etc. and I need to cancel that sort of thing out.

Back