James Beck's 90th Birthday

He was excellent in Dad's Army - the show never felt the same after he died.

Agree, somehow as actors die or move on a show often loses that initial ensemble we got used to and never quite seems the same again. One has only to witness the countless discussions about which of the threes in SW are each person's favourite to get a sense of how well a series carries on with replacements in the main cast.

Sadly James Beck was the first to die but one of the youngest of the cast.

I think its well documented but initially Jimmy Beck was not in the running for the part , Jimmy Perry had it lined up for himself before David Croft and others at the BBC persuaded him otherwise , given how good he was in the part I think it was the correct choice.

He is clearly playing a part but with so many actors and actresses I am fascinated to see what they are like in real life but with so many you just never get an inkling , yes you get a flavour when they write or have an Autobiography ghost written but even those are often devoid of the true pen picture of what they are like out of character.

At this juncture I must qualify my interest , its solely based on actors and actresses who have brought us such pleasure over the years and most definitely not these so called stars who spring from reality shows and adorn our screens at the moment , they have no talent and are absolutely of no interest to me .

Back