Jean Alexanders Curlers.........

Neat, thanks for sharing that!

....which begs the question, I wonder how much Auntie Wainwright would have managed to wrangle out of someone for them?

What a fashion statement curlers and an apron (pinny) make! When I was in college (many moons ago), the school was in the process of changing from an all girls school to co-ed. The dining hall during the supper hour was quite a sight. It was an endless sea of grey metal rollers worn by many girls anticipating going out on a date!! And the next year with more men on campus, the girls ate supper totally coiffed. And Howard was not the only man to wear an apron (pinny) to do housework. My uncle, a French professor, always wore an apron when he helped with the dishes.

For Hilda's character Jean work a scarf tied in a certain manner [see below] to cover up her curlers in part .My Mum told me that when she was younger and had washed her hair before going out to the dance in the Oxford Ballroom , Newcastle , her mother was really strict and insisted she could not go before it was dry . Impatient to get to the dance she used to wear a scarf or turban style hat so she could hide her still wet hair from her mum . She claims it worked in her favour because when she arrived at the dance hall it made her stand out from the rest and she allegedly got more dances!

hilda.jpg

Back