July 2014 ask brendalovescompo

Oh why not? They are so close. ;)

Really, no kidding. Once you get yourself from the States to England, Western Europe is relatively cheap and easy to get to and to get around in, especially if you travel on the edges of the off season. As long as most of your visit is away from the larger cities and you stay in B&Bs and their equivalents rather than in hotels, lodgings needn't break the bank, either.

HF Holidays, http://www.hfholidays.co.uk/, operates tours to Italy. Not so much to Portugal, though, just a walking and sightseeing holiday on Madeira. They're a British non-profit, so the prices are very reasonable and the guests are very international, but predominantly British. I've had at least one holiday with them annually for about the last twenty years, mostly in the UK, but occasionally to Europe, and have enjoyed every one of them thoroughly. I've booked two in the UK for this autumn — a week's landscape photography in Snowdonia and a week's industrial history based very near Dovedale.

Marianna

What are you considering for retirement activities in addition to travel?

Marianna

Well, I love gardening vegetable and flowers. I have tons of perennials and I thought to just make a bit of cash in the spring time , I have started splitting flowers and trying my hand at selling them. First of all , it is good to thin things out every once in a while. I did a trial during a weekend festival in columbia , TN called Mule Days. There are a lot of garage sales and a friend let me set some out to sell. Got rid of about half of them, but they were not in bloom , which didn't help. I did have a picture of the final product. We plan to get a green house , so if I get my plants blooming when Lowe's and Home Depot (competition) have theirs out, under cut their price....... we shall see. Not planning on making a killing, but something to do and earn something when my income drops when I do retire.

I also have chickens, and may increase my flock. Just have 6 now. Six eggs, every day!!!

I may end up moving back to Cincinnati to care for my mom, she is starting to have some health issues, but now she is taking care of my 88 year old grandmother, and starting to wear out herself.

I do want to do some traveling around the States , but my son is starting college and wants to be a Dr. , so I think I will try to help him out, and would rather blow it going overseas.

Thanks for the question Marianna

I work for General Motors in Spring Hill, TN.

My father worked 6 months in Detroit(I think) (way before I was born) in the Edsel factory. He only lasted 6 months, he was an ol' greaser and was a bit wild. He had the rolled up pants, greasy hair, cig pack rolled up in his shirt sleeve, and all. Wasn't mature enough yet.
That's great you'll be able to retire soon, I wasn't that wise. Guess I had a bit of my father in me.
I tried getting on at the BMW factory in SC when I got out of Aviation school, thinking..... Surely they'd want a licensed airplane mechanic to assembly their cars... Not so much I guess :biggrin: I never got a call back.
Not sure how personal you want us to get, so I'll go for it.
Is their anything in your life you regret or wished you would have done?

My father worked 6 months in Detroit(I think) (way before I was born) in the Edsel factory. He only lasted 6 months, he was an ol' greaser and was a bit wild. He had the rolled up pants, greasy hair, cig pack rolled up in his shirt sleeve, and all. Wasn't mature enough yet.
That's great you'll be able to retire soon, I wasn't that wise. Guess I had a bit of my father in me.
I tried getting on at the BMW factory in SC when I got out of Aviation school, thinking..... Surely they'd want a licensed airplane mechanic to assembly their cars... Not so much I guess :biggrin: I never got a call back.
Not sure how personal you want us to get, so I'll go for it.
Is their anything in your life you regret or wished you would have done?

Wow, I suppose I would have helped my daughter in a different way with her education. She really struggled in school. I paid $10,000 to sylvan,expensive tutor lets just say,(that I didn't have just laying around). I should have realized that she was not college material. I should have put her on the path to just take basic classes in high school. I also regret, not punching an educated barmpot, to put it nicely, who told me she would eventually catch up:unhappy:. Then there are a few I rather not mention , because I still may change those regrets to completed task, and I don't want any evidence to incriminate me:me:

As for you getting into BMW, they just want a body. They may have helped you by not hiring you, because you are on your way to the dream job. That is still in the works right? Sometimes these plants hire family members, I know where we are we each had a reference to turn in for future employment. That may be why also.

:42:

Do you have a favorite actor that appeared as a guest?

Well, all of the guest were all british actors and didn't know their history but when Eli Woods died, I googled and watched him with his cousins on their stand up comedy act. They have been around for ages. I don't care for comedy these days. I don't think getting on stage cussing and talking nasty is very funny. Well , George Carlin can cuss, but everyone else..... naw, don't get into it.

Have you noticed they don't have comedy groups anymore all solo. I like when there are more than one in comedy shows. Martin and Lewis, Stooges, Bowery Boys. I remember watching on Saturday morning and afternoon. This show in a way brings all that back.

:29:

We went to Gatlinburg/pigeon forge area on vacation a few years ago and really liked the mountains. I grew up in the mountains and its nice to head there.
Is the terrain where you live similar to that area?

We went to Gatlinburg/pigeon forge area on vacation a few years ago and really liked the mountains. I grew up in the mountains and its nice to head there.
Is the terrain where you live similar to that area?

No it isn't Darin. It is more of large rolling hills. I checked out the difference. Knoxville area where Gatlinburg is close to is 1017 ft above sea level Nashville area,(I am about 40 miles southwest) is 689 ft above sea level.

Haven't been to Smokey's in about 5 years. It is beautiful. We went there for Christmas one year. Very nice.

Brenda, if you were left on a deserted island what or whom would you take with you if you could only take 3 things/person(s).

Brenda, if you were left on a deserted island what or whom would you take with you if you could only take 3 things/person(s).

I would take that guy on the discovery channel, The survivor man, dry matches, and one of those satellite phones.

Do you think I would have a chance. That guy is pretty good. I think we would make a good team, because I would work well with him, but I will not eat grubs. NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!:16:

I would take that guy on the discovery channel, The survivor man, dry matches, and one of those satellite phones.

Do you think I would have a chance. That guy is pretty good. I think we would make a good team, because I would work well with him, but I will not eat grubs. NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!:16:

You mean that Les Stroud fella? He's quite dishy in a weird kind of way :) Or Ray Mears at a push :)

You mean that Les Stroud fella? He's quite dishy in a weird kind of way :) Or Ray Mears at a push :)

Les Stroud. Yeah, he gotta rough look that is attractive:21:. Not to be distracted while on the desert island, if so I may just ditch the satellite radio!:eek::eek:

I am having sinus surgery in the morning, so will be in twilight zone for a few hours. Should be able to get online later in the day. Off work a few weeks. Nothing serious, just gotta make my septum a bit straighter so I can breath without any meds. , and quit snoring hopefully!! So I took care of the question, Brenda , do you snore? LOL. Good night everyone.

I am having sinus surgery in the morning, so will be in twilight zone for a few hours. Should be able to get online later in the day. Off work a few weeks. Nothing serious, just gotta make my septum a bit straighter so I can breath without any meds. , and quit snoring hopefully!! So I took care of the question, Brenda , do you snore? LOL. Good night everyone.

Good luck, lets us know how it goes :)

Back