Last of the Summer Wine: The Christmas Specials Vol 1 -- contents?

I have the Region 1 DVDs and it is on my Vintage 1995 DVD. I don't have it on my Vintage 1982-83 DVD. So if you are thinking of purchasing, check the one you are ordering. The Vintage 1995 DVD also includes special features "Thirty Years of the Last of the Summer Wine," "Tribute to Dame Thora Hird," and "Biographies" of several cast members.

Oops!

I no longer have region 1 DVDs (donated them to the local public library, but kept my region 2 sets), so couldn't check the episode lists on the cases. I was going by a document I had created to indicate where each special belonged in the broadcast order, as they were often out of order on the region 1 DVDs. I simply searched the document for that title and didn't notice the note indicating which set it was on. Although it's on the 1995 set, it was broadcast in the '82-83 season.

Just to prove my point Gold are showing LOTSW series 29 the one before Hobbo joins up looked through the schedule and Friday this week they are showing "Get out of that,then " at 9:40 to complete the series, then the next episode at 10:10 sure enough is some "adventures of the inventor of the mother stitch " so the first appearance of Hobbo in the Christmas special is missing again .

It was a 30 minute episode so no timing issue they could extend to 40 minutes to accommodate adverts like they normally do . It is so frustrating as its an episode I am missing from my collection . Never mind Tony the Throat some days you feel like grabbing some UK Gold executive by the said throat . Rant over!

FWIW -- looks like the newish BBC DVD of Christmas Specials contains
episodes that are already on your regular Series DVDs. For example
Merry Christmas Father Christmas is on Series 9 & 10 DVDs. So if you
have the regular Series discs why would you buy the specials alone??

Just wondering??

chuck

Just wondering??

chuck

Maybe because we are fans of the show and would like to support the people who made it, rather than illegally downloading the episodes from dodgy websites. just a thought.

rather than illegally downloading the episodes from dodgy websites

Hmm ... I thought (stupid me!!) that I was pointing out that the episodes on the
BBC Xmas Specials DVD are already available on your OFFICIAL BBC discs
for the SW series. (No reference to illegally downloaded from dodgy
websites). If you have the Series 9 & 10 DVD set (FROM Da Beeb!) you
probably already have these:

Uncle of the Bride
Merry Christmas Father Christmas
Big Day at Dream Acres

So why would you want them twice??

Just to prove my point Gold are showing LOTSW series 29 the one before Hobbo joins up looked through the schedule and Friday this week they are showing "Get out of that,then " at 9:40 to complete the series, then the next episode at 10:10 sure enough is some "adventures of the inventor of the mother stitch " so the first appearance of Hobbo in the Christmas special is missing again .

It was a 30 minute episode so no timing issue they could extend to 40 minutes to accommodate adverts like they normally do . It is so frustrating as its an episode I am missing from my collection . Never mind Tony the Throat some days you feel like grabbing some UK Gold executive by the said throat . Rant over!

You refer to I Was a Hitman For Primrose Dairies of course.

I am fairly sure I have a copy of this episode.

If it's any help, if you PM your name and address I can send you a DVD of this.

Just wondering??

chuck

The original poster and some others seem to be interested in the specials compilations because although they see regular episodes all the time on TV, those networks rarely show the often odd length and seasonal specific holiday episodes.

Not everyone can afford to collect the whole series. I am, but that's mostly due to the lack of any network viewing options in my area.

You refer to I Was a Hitman For Primrose Dairies of course.

I am fairly sure I have a copy of this episode.

If it's any help, if you PM your name and address I can send you a DVD of this.

Thank you so much for your very considerate and kind offer . I will drop you a note in due course , I am awaiting a response from UK Gold after I mailed them several questions regarding this particular episode . I would like to see what they say , if there is a chance of it being shown then I will be patient and record through their showing . :D

All,

I eventually received a mail from UKTV please see below:-

Thank you for your email. Please accept our apologies for the delayed response.

We tend to play the Christmas specials over the festive season – that’s certainly where we prioritise them.

When we have played these out of season, it’ll be owing to licence issues which mean we have to play that episode before a certain point.

You might like to know that you can track forthcoming episodes on the programme page:
http://gold.uktv.co.uk/shows/last-summer-wine/episodes/

We hope this explains things, and that you will continue to enjoy Gold!

Kind regards

The UKTV Team

I have not yet checked the link out.

The Christmas DVD is available from (my branch at least) HMV for only £2.99 which seemed good value.

Hi,
Just to tie the threrad to an end, I did get the Xmas vol 1. It was Great! I wonder why it seems that the dialogue is wittier and sharper on Xmas episodes...

I'm still missing the "A Short Blast of Fred Astaire" and have tried to track it from YouTube and Dailymotion hoping to catch it (before it becomes deleted by the BBC) but no luck. That is the only episode I've never seen. Fingers crossed BBC will one day make another Cristmas Specials DVD having "A Short Blast of Fred Astaire"...

pekka

Yes, Thanks for looking it up! I found it too: £5.00 + £3.60 per delivery + £1.80 per kg to Finland makes £10.40 for really just one episode. Hmm, I think I'll wait for another day. Nevertheless thanks for seeing the trouble, capitain :)

Well Off topic: I had learned that quite many regular and visiting actors of LOTSW have been on "Are you being served?". I did find almost all episodes from the web. As we still need the subtitles to fully (ok, better) understand the jokes, we bought the boxed set from eBay (NB: There are sets w and w/o English HoH subtitles around, like there are of LOTSW DVD sets, even with same EAN code!). Being a bit tight on money presently, I think we'll first go through the "Are you being served?" before investing over 10 pounds for one episode of LOTSW :)

pekka

Back