Latest Cyber Threat

gothic

Administrator
Staff member
This new wave of malware / ransomware has been particularly vicious, and is only targeting MS Windows machines.
Four things to help you fend off these threats are:
1: Make sure you install ALL Microsoft updates.
2: NEVER open unrecognised emails/attachments, no matter how attractive they may appear.
3: as Microsoft has NOT issued these security updates for Windows XP or Vista make sure you are running one of the later versions.
4: Make sure ALL of your important data (images/documents/music) is backed up. I still back up onto DVD, but also an external hard drive that is only connected at backup time (USB). That way even if you are infected, you can do a re-install of Windows and still have your important data.

Makes me thankful that I run a Mac computer.

Last edited:
Thank you Tony much appreciated. As well as backing up key files you really need to make a recovery disc so if you have to completely wipe your operating system you are able to recover the OS to start again and restore laptop/PC to its former state . There are plenty of instructions on the net for the various versions of Windows.

I always preach backup,backup,backup. People have ignored this and although you can always reinstall windows any personal data will be lost, so all those tunes, pictures, documents etc are gone. it is to late then. Buy yourself a small portable hard drive maybe this https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/External...e=UTF8&qid=1494757970&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+hdd depending how much data you need to backup, and if nothing else your data is safe

I have all pictures on a stick which I refresh when ever I can tie my son in law down. But to be honest I never store anything that would be irreplaceable on any device, the fact I wouldn't know how to is one reason.

I am on MAC which has drawbacks, plenty, but comforting at this time. And I store data on a separate external drive. And back up to CD as well.

There are some legal questions with certain Adobe products if installed on a mac , if you Flash in a Mac ........you get arrested just as Howard did when he flashed at Marina ..........lucky Cleggy vouched for him ! :13::13::08:

Went to my local surgery yesterday. After 2 days of hard work they had one computer on-line. As for everything else, pen and paper ruled !:39: :13:

Went to my local surgery yesterday. After 2 days of hard work they had one computer on-line. As for everything else, pen and paper ruled !:39: :13:

They should remind us again why going paperless was a great idea.

Our surgery is the same, they cannot issue repeat meds as they had computer problems, which only goes to show whoever is in charge of the multi million health service IT dept should not have a job after last weekend, there is no excuse, it just total negligence

Erm, been sitting here for half an hour trying to think of one drawback of having a Mac :08:
Well mine does not like its external drive - this causes great problems. Every so often it says I have failed to eject it properly when I have not done anything!
Slow starting up
Sometimes the dictionary allows me to add words, some times not
E mail program does not have "out of office" ability
Can not manipulate photographs to make little greetings cards

says it has Pages - never been able to get to work

Curates egg - good in parts

Running el capitan and I have an older one with Snow Leopard or something like., which tolerated the external drive better.

Oh, sorry to hear that. The only thing I'm able to help you with is the last one, manipulating photographs. You should really try XnView, it's free and has a lot of basic image tools. You can find it HERE.

Oh, Pages. Is it listed in the Applications folder? If not go to App Store and see if it's in the list of Purchases, again if not do a search from within App Store as it is free with all Mac OS versions to download, install and use.

Back