Main Street Delays

I note your example is from the USA... much the same over here, especially in country towns, very common for trains to pass through main roads.
If you want an even more extreme example here in Perth we have a main passenger trainline that runs down the centre of the major Freeway (Motorway)08ed795e75a158f51e8e490e0a789dbf_XL.jpg

Soon, I may be able to see something like that on occasion. I will be moving to the area of New Bern, NC and they have a train that runs down the center of one of their streets. Not sure how often.

I found a nice video clip of a ride along. This is the second part of three vids. Shows a Norfolk Southern train heading North to a swing style draw gate bridge to cross the Trent River. This river merges into the larger Neuse River on the SE side of town. About 1 min in you cross the bridge, 3 min in you approach Hancock street which the train will travel down. A neat watch if you are into trains.

The first video of these three show the train going down Hancock Street from the North heading South about 3:30 mins in. Around 5:50 min you approach the train bridge that crosses the Trent River and get to see the draw bridge in process of swinging closed to allow the train to pass. You don't get to see the marina and all the nice boats in this video as you do in the second one. Which is why I posted both.

Here is a street level view video someone else took. Turn your audio down on this one - lots of wind noise, you can see the flags waving.

Cheers,
Rick

There's an active track running down the center of one of the streets here in the village for the entire length of the street. The factory at the far end of the village receives its raw materials by rail, so auto traffic is often held up by a long, slow train. There are no gates at the two level crossings, just ordinary traffic signals.

Somewhere in Virginia, the train track runs down the middle of the street of a certain town. While on the AutoTrain we passed through this town in the middle of the night. The Christmas decorations were lovely. The Autotrain runs from Washington, DC to Florida and you take your car with you on the train on special cars designed to hold cars.

Back