Meeting??

Brian Johns

Dedicated Member
Pearl's offer to send postcards from Holmfirth got me thinking....possibly a selfish thought but what the heck....

As I am only likely to get the one chance to visit Holmfirth in July would there be any interest in a Forum meetup..possibly at Sid's for those here who can get there fairly easily. It could be the start of similar meetings, especially when overseas visitors visit.:18:

:coffee: For ME :17:it would have to be on July 11 or 12 (Tues & Wed)

It is just a thought. I believe something similar has been suggested before but not sure of the outcome so I might as well throw the idea out again. I don't expect a huge crowd being able to attend, given it is mid-week & few live close to Holmfirth, but it would be nice to meet a couple of the regulars (& not so regular!) here
:28:

I could be around on 11th July, Tuesday, but not the Wednesday. I am about 25 miles from Holmfirth so one of the closer users of this site and also one of the longest serving members of this site but not the longest.

I certainly could make it.

It is possible subject to what is happening nearer the time that I could pop over on the Tuesday, I think Rod owes me a sticky bun

Ok that's 2 for Tuesday 11/7/17! For that size of crowd I might even be persuaded to provide the sticky buns as well!;)
I have 3 nights in summer wine land...arrive sometime on the Monday and leave on the Thursday for the land of bagpipes.

I intend to go on the tour bus (possibly more than once!) as well as driving around to as many locations as practicable and general sightseeing. I will have a hire car
so will be very mobile and can dance to my own tune. A morning or afternoon tea at Sid's on the Tuesday is definitely a "must do"!

Don't forget to take at least one sip of tea together in sync as homage to the ladies of the show. No scrambling over who gets the largest sticky bun! Please raise a cuppa or sink a pint for those of us who would like to be there but cannot make it. Post some pics if you can.

Out of curiosity - how long of a flight is it from Australia to the UK? Do you have to stop partway to change planes or anything?

I will certainly raise a cuppa, I am one of those perverts that doesn't drink.......only because I don't like the taste!
As for the largest sticky bun...no scrambling anticipated...it is MINE and I am big, mean and ugly enough to ensure that!:08::33:

I intend to take HEAPS of pics, I will be travelling with at least FOUR cameras to make sure I get everything....and YES they EACH have their own purpose and range from a professional SLR to a cheap point and shoot!
So I should be able to get at least a couple of shots to post here.;)

The flight from Perth to Heathrow takes almost a full day. First leg to Dubai is about 11 hours, I then have a 2 and a half hour layover (assuming everything is on time) before another 7-ish hour flight to Heathrow.
I believe Qantas will be starting a DIRECT flight service from Perth to Heathrow next year. That will be about 18+ hours in a "Dreamliner". (Urgh)

I have a natural dislike of flying over vast quantities of ocean in a plane with only 2 engines so I will be in a nice 4 engine A380. (Note: nothing wrong with the Dreamliner, it is a very nice aircraft but personally I prefer a couple of extra engines on long overwater trips. The first flight from Perth to Dubai is almost ALL over ocean in the middle of nowhere). As I have said before, if you lose an engine on a twin...the second engine will take you promptly to the scene of the crash! (Perpetuating what is really a myth here but what the heck? If it frightens the horses, too bad!:13:)
As this will probably be my only ever overseas trip I am doing it in grand style and have a seat almost directly behind the pilot!:37:.
The last time I was in a plane was over 20 years ago and I WAS DRIVING!. The last time I was in a jet was 1964!! (That actual aircraft is LITERALLY a museum piece now and is on display at the Qantas museum in Longreach!!)

I would love to meet up , I am a couple of hundred miles round trip from Holmfirth I will see if I can manage to get down will have to look closer to the time, it would be so be nice to crack open a couple of Teannies [groan] .

OK, just over a month to go until I invade Summer Wine Country!:03:
Number 2 son (who was there last year) has decided to keep his old man company on the trip (well for the first week & a half anyway) so there will be TWO of us disrupting the serenity!:18:

I have to stop watching british driving videos on utube....rapidly coming to the conclusion that everyone over there is either a murderous OR suicidal maniac on the road (possibly BOTH)
I would have had an easy life over there in my previous job...start work...walk out the front of the police station...arrest the drivers of the first 3 cars to come along...spend the rest of the day doing the paperwork.
No need of any expensive equipment....like a car for example. Repeat daily..EASY. I would clean up the roads pretty quick and it leaves other officers free to deal with minor matters, like murder, rape, burglary etc etc:p

We actually had a traffic officer a bit like that here (other than me I mean:08:) When he was on nightshift we would take bets on how long it took for him to arrest a drink driver. I think the record was 2 minutes after driving from the traffic office.
He rarely got more than a couple of kilometres from the office on most nights before getting a drink driver. He was unbelievable, could almost SMELL them!

The best I ever did with drink driving was to lock up ALL 4 occupants of a car (separately) in the same night.
Stopped the baddy and got driver #1.....told others in car not to drive as all intoxicated. Was driving #1 back to the office for processing, but I stopped around the corner from the baddies car....sure enough the car comes cruising past me with #2.
Stop it again & collect #2...drive both to the office. Leave the 2 with my partner, jump the front fence at the office and lock up #3 as he pulls into the POLICE TRAFFIC carpark!!

Take him inside and then process all three....After which get in my car, drive around the corner and stop the SAME CAR again....this time with driver #4 who was taking the other 3 home.
4 x DUI charges (and a couple of no licence offences) from the same car in the same night. Some people are BORN IDIOTS!

I have got the SAME person driving drunk twice in a night on several occasions, but getting EVERY occupant of a car...separately...in one night was a little unusual!

Anyhow...back to the meeting

Sticky buns still on me!:)

Update & reminder

I leave the wet, windy, cold weather of West Oz to travel to the cold, wet & windy weather of the UK in a couple of days.:21:

For those of you with any interest in meeting (at last count there was possibly a HUGE crowd of 2!),
unless I get told otherwise I intend to be at Sid's Café between 10 & 10:30am on Tuesday 11/7/17. If anyone turns up then of course the end time becomes open.

If however no-one shows up by about 10:30 I will just assume everyone is busy and will wander off to cry quietly somewhere private:08:

After about midnight (UK time) Tuesday of this coming week I will have only limited access to this site and will not be able to check every day SO..............
If anyone has an alternate time they can get there & want to!...let me know before hand and I can re arrange things quite easily at my end.
:37::37::37::37:

Update & reminder

I leave the wet, windy, cold weather of West Oz to travel to the cold, wet & windy weather of the UK in a couple of days.:21:

For those of you with any interest in meeting (at last count there was possibly a HUGE crowd of 2!),
unless I get told otherwise I intend to be at Sid's Café between 10 & 10:30am on Tuesday 11/7/17. If anyone turns up then of course the end time becomes open.

If however no-one shows up by about 10:30 I will just assume everyone is busy and will wander off to cry quietly somewhere private:08:

After about midnight (UK time) Tuesday of this coming week I will have only limited access to this site and will not be able to check every day SO..............
If anyone has an alternate time they can get there & want to!...let me know before hand and I can re arrange things quite easily at my end.
:37::37::37::37:

Hi Brian, I am hoping to make it on the Tuesday but it would be closer to 11am, where are you staying in Holmfirth

I will apologise in advance Brian, sadly I cannot meet you. I have tickets to see the Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and Bootleg Beatles that evening and driving down and back in a day to make the concert is a bit risky . I am so so sorry because I would have loved to meet you. From your posts you are clearly a bit of a character and I am sure it would have been a fun day out .

beats.jpg

Attachments

• beatles.jpg
    beatles.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 1
  • beatless.jpg
    beatless.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1
  • beatles2.jpg
    beatles2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1
Captain, that is fine :cry2::(, I don't expect everyone to just drop their own things just because I am coming:p

Maltrab If I know you are coming, I have no problems waiting around. I can visit the bookshop up the stairs and generally suck up the atmosphere.:18:

I will apologise in advance Brian, sadly I cannot meet you. I have tickets to see the Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and Bootleg Beatles that evening and driving down and back in a day to make the concert is a bit risky . I am so so sorry because I would have loved to meet you. From your posts you are clearly a bit of a character and I am sure it would have been a fun day out .

View attachment 1545

You lucky so and so Captain, I have seen the bootleg Beatles twice and they are about as close as you can get to seeing the real thing and musically very good

Back