Nora could bring destructive winds

Brian Johns

Dedicated Member
Well, it has finally been revealed where Nora went in Australia.

CYCLONE Nora is currently up near Queensland! Destructive winds gusting up to 270km/h could hit parts of Cape York as Cyclone Nora intensifies into an expected category 4 storm and moves towards the Queensland coast.
News reports note:-
Heavy rain and flash floods are also predicted from Torres Strait to the Gulf of Carpentaria, and tidal surges bringing large waves could inundate foreshores.
Authorities are also wary of crocodiles, which usually go out to sea ahead of extreme weather.
Flood watches are in place as up to 200mm of rain could fall daily, with isolated pockets possibly being hit with 300mm.
Minor flooding is likely to occur from the Cape possibly down to Townsville

For those in the Northern Hemisphere, Cyclone = Typhoon = Hurricane and Category 4 is the 2nd highest level! By comparison Hurricane Katrina was "only" a level 3!

I, thankfully, am thousands of miles away in a different State, but I hope the people up there are OK.
We have had our share of nasty cyclones this year and NORA is only 1 of at least THREE that are currently making their way around Australia at the moment.

I just found it funny (That is Funny peculiar, not Funny Ha-ha) they named this big bag of destruction after another!!:fp:

Brian,

My like is for your tie in with Nora B not in anyway with the storm itself which hopefully will have minimal or hopefully no effect to people and property . I cannot comprehend a storm of that ferocity , whilst we clearly have storms in the UK they never reach wind speeds you describe. I sincerely hope everyone remains well and safe.

Back