Noras back door.

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
We all know that Clegg's front door in the house he moved to in the series is a stable door. Looking through my old pics I found this photo of Nora's old back door. It is obviously a stable door but I do not remember seeing that type of door in any of the episodes. I must look through the early days of the series. I took this photo in 2003. I wonder, was the door changed for filming?.

Attachments

• Nora's back door..jpg
    Nora's back door..jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Noras' back door 2.jpg
    Noras' back door 2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 27
The door appeared to be changed in "Getting Barry's Goat", it was possible the house owner had the door changed and they had to reflect this in the show, in fact for the first 7 episodes of that series we see very little of Nora's house,was there general building renovations happening and they could not film there

Back door? It's the front door, isn't it? I don't think the house has a back door.

I recall an episode with the trio in a room around a small table with Wally having some tea while Nora was outside cleaning the windows looking in. Wally had his back to the window and Nora is making pointing motions to him or the guys. Clegg mentions something about being watched. Tells Wally Nora may want him and Wally asks if he is sure because he does not want to go see her if not.

Had the impression she was near ground level or on a landing. Thought she came in through a door slightly off camera near the window. Maybe Compo snuck out that door to aggravate Nora. I thought it was a kitchen area but thinking on it now the kitchen she dumps water out of the window onto Compo looks different with no table for the guys sit. Plus that is way too high for her to be standing to clean a window. Even leaning over from the front door step would be too far a reach.

For some reason the room I am thinking of seems different. This was one of the reasons I had initially thought Wally's pigeon coop was out back. Not to the front and over to the side as I later discovered. Could this be the room with the mysterious back door?

I recall an episode with the trio in a room around a small table with Wally having some tea while Nora was outside cleaning the windows looking in. Wally had his back to the window and Nora is making pointing motions to him or the guys. Clegg mentions something about being watched. Tells Wally Nora may want him and Wally asks if he is sure because he does not want to go see her if not.

Had the impression she was near ground level or on a landing. Thought she came in through a door slightly off camera near the window. Maybe Compo snuck out that door to aggravate Nora. I thought it was a kitchen area but thinking on it now the kitchen she dumps water out of the window onto Compo looks different with no table for the guys sit. Plus that is way too high for her to be standing to clean a window. Even leaning over from the front door step would be too far a reach.

For some reason the room I am thinking of seems different. This was one of the reasons I had initially thought Wally's pigeon coop was out back. Not to the front and over to the side as I later discovered. Could this be the room with the mysterious back door?
It must have been entirely a figment of the set-designer's imagination!

Here's the video advertising the holiday let:
and here's one that shows Juliette Kaplan touring the actual cottage and other LOTSW locations:

Last edited:
I think it was in "From wellies to wetsuit" Nora is in a room that has a window halfway down her stairs. You can clearly see this as Compo and the others come down the stairs, Compo in flippers.
She them moves to her right and opens a door to confront the men. That would place the door at or slightly LOWER than the ground level and directly opposite the outside privy! There is no door there in real life, so it must have been a studio shot (A bit like the door seen in the café)

As for Wally's pigeon loft, I can only actually remember seeing it once or possibly twice. It is definitely there when they are trying to measure Nora's feet and I remember a long shot of it but that may have been the same episode.

I was certain that I had a picture of that door when it was red. Afters lots of searching I have found it. Does anyone recall seeing a red door at Nora's house?

Attachments

• Norah's House.jpg
    Norah's House.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 17
I was certain that I had a picture of that door when it was red. Afters lots of searching I have found it. Does anyone recall seeing a red door at Nora's house?

I suspect the owner painted it red at some stage, but when they did the filming they would revert back to blue, I wonder if this was around the time, the owners wanted more money for them to film at Nora's, and Alan Bell had to trim his budget and was almost at the point of finding another location, in the last few week before filming the situation was resolved

Rick, I know the episode you are talking about, Compo loves the Walnut cake! From memory there is no sink under Nora's window in real life, they used a basin to pretend it was there(willing to be contradicted on that, but I think it is correct).
In the Ep. you describe Rick, I think it was that same room but arranged differently, so the window Nora is looking in, is the same one as usually serves for her to look out and pour buckets of water etc on Compo.

That was the Odd Dog Men.

The door appeared to be changed in "Getting Barry's Goat", it was possible the house owner had the door changed and they had to reflect this in the show, in fact for the first 7 episodes of that series we see very little of Nora's house,was there general building renovations happening and they could not film there.
The excuse for the change that was written into the script was that Nora was trying to keep up with Mrs. Avery's extremely houseproud obsessive cleaning and polishing.

Back