old mill

hello there,, does anyone know where this factory is , the one that is used in the episode , inventor of the 40 foot ferret, i think thats the one, its the one where compo rolls a rusty drum down the hill towards cleggy and blamire, thanks a lot..

Oooh, yes, i'd love to know that too.

That episode really got me into summer wine, just the look of that area, and them just more or less walking around talking. I remember watching it on my computer, and i felt like i was actually there the first time viewing it. It was just so peacefull, and relaxing looking.

I'm curious about that location, too. I tried to make sense of the bit of lettering on the smokestack as part of the name because it looks too neat for graffiti, but it didn't fit any of the ones in Wikipedia's list of mills in Holmfirth. Maybe it's just abnormally neat graffiti, after all.

Marianna

The problem in finding out where this was it it could of been some distance from Holmfirth in one of the many surrounding towns and after 40 years it probably is long gone

How far afield were the first season's locations? I'm looking at the Yorkshire Industrial Heritage web site's map of West Yorkshire textile mills (http://yorkshire.u08.eu/?v=mapwy), hoping to identify a possible former mill site at the bottom of a steep bank. Even though the site has probably been re-purposed, there might still be some vestiges of the buildings left, similar to the Lower Mill site. When the building that we see in the background of the first several frames of the early episodes was converted to a block of flats, the foundation of the smokestack was left in the car park.

BTW, both that building and some of the flats photograph very well. The flats look quite luxurious and are priced accordingly.

Marianna

The old mill is long gone but you can still see the remains. The mill was sited on a sharp bend where Vicarage road meets Thornhill road Huddersfield. A stones throw from the little tower (Longwood Tower Quarry) where Blamire took photos of Clegg and Compo in "Hail smiling morn or thereabouts".If you freeze frame your dvd player on the long shot looking down the valley and mill you can see the sky line and a distinct house on the far left hand bank with two chimneys and a central peaked window which is 29 ish Cliffe End Road on google maps.
Forgive me if this is old news but this is my first post, hope this helps .

The old mill is long gone but you can still see the remains. The mill was sited on a sharp bend where Vicarage road meets Thornhill road Huddersfield. A stones throw from the little tower (Longwood Tower Quarry) where Blamire took photos of Clegg and Compo in "Hail smiling morn or thereabouts".If you freeze frame your dvd player on the long shot looking down the valley and mill you can see the sky line and a distinct house on the far left hand bank with two chimneys and a central peaked window which is 29 ish Cliffe End Road on google maps.

Thanks for the info

Thanks! This is first pointer that's been posted, and it's spot on! I had browsed Google Earth for that very distinct house, but hadn't looked there.

Last edited:
Thank you for helping us find out where the old mill is / was, Paul. I tried to 'Like' the post but am not getting that option for some reason.

Glad to have helped . l enjoy searching for LOTSW filming locations but l live hundreds of miles away so l visit on google maps when l can.

Can someone please put me out of my misery . I spent a few hours yesterday trying to find a location . I know we have discussed it on the forum before but my search of the site proved fruitless as did a search on Google Maps . I have actually used Streetview on the latter before and looked around the location but I didn't bookmark it hence my issue [and increasing frustration] .

I think the canal/river shots have been used a few times but there is a large tailor's shop[which I was looking for] which I can only recall featuring once and it is on a street of shops that faces the river/canal . The river/canal has distinctive black railings [as opposed to the red that we see in several scenes in several episodes which I think is at Marsden] I can picture Barry and Truly standing against the railings[but its a bit vague] there may have been others there .

Thank you so much in advance for any assistance.:)

I think the canal/river shots have been used a few times but there is a large tailor's shop[which I was looking for] which I can only recall featuring once and it is on a street of shops that faces the river/canal . The river/canal has distinctive black railings [as opposed to the red that we see in several scenes in several episodes which I think is at Marsden] I can picture Barry and Truly standing against the railings[but its a bit vague] there may have been others there.

Try Slaithwaite. The railings there were painted black as of the last time it was photographed for Google Earth.

Thank you so much Marianna that's it . The shop is O.Blackburns on Carr Lane which faces the stretch of water with the black railings :):)

The funeral home that was used in Just a Small Funeral is only a short distance to the west of that location, beyond the roundabout, where Old Bank and Church Street intersect.

Slaithwaite would have been my guess Marianna, but thank you for the extra info . Aren't we lucky to have people to go that extra mile and dot the "I s" and cross the " T s " for us. Thankyou again!:03:

Thanks for the info l'v often wondered what it was called. l spent ages looking for that mill , it drove me crackers !
l guest the distance from Victoria tower/ Castle Hill in the back ground shot and looked for high points to search for the skyline.
The top of Bull Green Road was my first clue and once l figured the car driving up the road to the mill was
roughly heading north because of the lack of shadow in front of it. l was now looking for a road running south with a steep bank
to the left somewhere between the top of Bull Green Road and Castle Tower. l still wasn't sure so when l found the house
on the left bank where it should be it brought a very long search to an end .........PHEW !

Can someone please put me out of my misery . I spent a few hours yesterday trying to find a location . I know we have discussed it on the forum before but my search of the site proved fruitless as did a search on Google Maps . I have actually used Streetview on the latter before and looked around the location but I didn't bookmark it hence my issue [and increasing frustration] .

I think the canal/river shots have been used a few times but there is a large tailor's shop[which I was looking for] which I can only recall featuring once and it is on a street of shops that faces the river/canal . The river/canal has distinctive black railings [as opposed to the red that we see in several scenes in several episodes which I think is at Marsden] I can picture Barry and Truly standing against the railings[but its a bit vague] there may have been others there .

Thank you so much in advance for any assistance.:)
Yes, you're correct. the [body of water] in Marsden has red railings.

Back