Old Photos from Huddersfield Examiner

The structure of the station platform roof was lovely. It's a crying shame that it was demolished. It looks as though it might have been built in the same era as the one in Keswick, which is well-preserved and highly photogenic because the station itself has been incorporated into the adjacent hotel. Although the track there has been lifted, the right-of-way was converted to a footpath. The conversion was done in a way that would allow easy relocation of the path and replacement/reopening of the rail line. There's no current news about progress — the most recent update was about a year ago, documenting an ongoing disagreement between the Lake District National Park Authority, backed by the Cumbria County Council, and the Cockermouth, Keswick and Penrith Railway PLC.

I personally want that rail line reopened to avoid the long, expensive taxi ride, or the long, tiring bus ride, between Penrith and Keswick whenever I visit the HF Holidays Derwent Bank house. A taxi from the station at the top of Keswick, around the top of Derwentwater, down through Portenscale and then a short distance to the house would be much more reasonable.

Love the view over Holmfirth from Cliff. I looks almost as though it was taken from Cliff Lane, not very far up from the Back Lane intersection, rather than from Cliff Road. If I'm guessing correctly, I might be fit enough by October to walk that far up to attempt a replica of the photo. I do mean up — Cliff Lane is really steep, at least for 75-year-old legs with a replaced, failed, and revised hip joint!

Last edited:
Love the view over Holmfirth from Cliff. I looks almost as though it was taken from Cliff Lane, not very far up from the Back Lane intersection, rather than from Cliff Road. If I'm guessing correctly, I might be fit enough by October to walk that far up to attempt a replica of the photo. I do mean up — Cliff Lane is really steep, at least for 75-year-old legs with a replaced, failed, and revised hip joint!

I hope you will be able to do that walk on your visit, Marianna.

As regards the photos of the station - I agree that it is a crying shame it was demolished. Very sadly that's been the case with the majority of closed stations, with subsequent developments making rebuilding/reopening of a line impossible. Keswick sounds like the exception to the rule and it would be wonderful if it was eventually reopened.

Back