Parrot Face

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
A couple of nights ago I watched a programme on TV about entertainment in Blackpool. It was a great show and several well-known celebrities were introducing different show business personel who had made the big time because of their appearance in different theatres in and around Blackpool. One of the people doing the intros was Freddie 'Parrot Face' Davies. No doubt most or all of you will remember him appearing in an episode of Summer Wine in which he offered to let Foggy have a 'peep' through his binoculars. I can't remember the title of the episode but I'm sure that Roger will be able to jog my memory for me so that I can watch it again.:D

I watched that show Peri, I had seen it before but its still a great watch and shows what a draw Blackpool was in its heyday . It was amazing to see the crowds of people thronging on the Beach and promenade . It was great to see Frank Randall who was such a huge star and loved the tale about the spat between George Formby's wife Beryl and Frank [boy she was one tough cookie you definitely wouldn't cross, a complete contrast to George well certainly his public persona] that ended with Randall nailing a bit of 4 x 2 across Formby's dressing room to stop him getting to the stage and then announcing him on Stage knowing fine well he wouldn't appear. Some of the people featured Freddy , Jimmy Cricket , Danny La Rue, Hylda Baker were huge stars in their day and pulled in the crowds .

It must have been great to be there in its heyday , a lot of the stars recalled their time there as kids and to a person they said the first thing their parents did was buy tickets for all the shows on that week . Just think what they must have seen all those great Variety bills what an impression it would have made on any kid going to see all these stars of the day . It was a really sad day when the limelight faded I would have loved to been there at that time. :)

Back