Public Transport Rubbish

captain clutterbuck

LOTSW Fanatic
Probably a short lived thread but felt the topic deserves discussion . I am not sure how many members use Public transport but I am dismayed at not only the amount of discarded rubbish that not only is strewn on our streets but increasingly on our Buses .

I quite often use my local bus to travel into town and I am amazed at how much rubbish is abandoned not only on the floor but also the seats . In the last two days I have seen a total contrast . Today on my way home a lady , her son and daughter were sat near me and they all had the remnants of MacDonald Happy meals .

Her young son was messing about with the carton and spilt the remains of a burger and some chips on the bus floor . Nine times out of ten they would have left the rubbish there, but the Mum deserved a medal because she made him pick every last scrap up to be placed in a proper bin when they got off.

On Saturday on my way to town I was sat in the rear seats and on the floor was a discarded Red Bull can and Lucozade Sport Energy drink bottle . As I understand it these drinks are supposed to give you extra energy and strength , though apparently not enough to be able to pick up said can and bottle to deposit in the nearest bin .

How clean the streets of Holmfirth, Marsden and Jackson Bridge looked in the heady days of filming our beloved show.

Had to reply Captain. Once upon a time there was a mantra " Take your litter home with you " and it seemed to work. Then whatever government it was decided to have machines going round street sweeping. IT ALL WENT DOWN HILL AFTER THAT.! Now it seems that because the streets are cleaned its "some one will clean it up so why bother"! I have seen heaps of rubbish alongside (but not in )the bins. Now if you put rubbish in the bin you are looked at as "strange" Where does it stop ? :39:

We must be lucky here as our local buses small and national company are pretty clean and the drivers do take a pride in keeping them clean.But walking around the town that's a different loads of mess McDonalds other crap and the council does nothing so we sink in a mess.

I'd rather walk than go on the buses, the smaller companies are ok but most of our buses are Arriva and First Bus. The buses are dirty and the drivers are lunatic, twice the other week I nearly went into one running a red light.

On Saturday on my way to town I was sat in the rear seats and on the floor was a discarded Red Bull can and Lucozade Sport Energy drink bottle . As I understand it these drinks are supposed to give you extra energy and strength , though apparently not enough to be able to pick up said can and bottle to deposit in the nearest bin .

I'm going to have to use this one!! :21::18:

Over here in the States, there is a firm rule that food and drinks are not allowed on the subway trains or platforms. And they are serious about this as I've heard of teenagers being led away in handcuffs over a bag of fries. Although that rule does not extend to buses, (mainly used by commuters) they are also pretty clean. Perhaps if the bus companies would just make a policy of no food or drink allowed and put up signs to that effect, then the buses would be cleaner. I've heard that people in Sweden are oriented towards not littering. How do they accomplish this?

Over here in the States, there is a firm rule that food and drinks are not allowed on the subway trains or platforms. And they are serious about this as I've heard of teenagers being led away in handcuffs over a bag of fries. Although that rule does not extend to buses, (mainly used by commuters) they are also pretty clean. Perhaps if the bus companies would just make a policy of no food or drink allowed and put up signs to that effect, then the buses would be cleaner. I've heard that people in Sweden are oriented towards not littering. How do they accomplish this?
Like that idea. Amount of rubbish we get on public transport is phenomenal. However it would mean the grazing approach to food would need to change.

I much prefer to sit at a table and carefully consume my food and coffee - much less likely to spill it down my front!

I wish it were true all over the USA. While it is true in the DC area, it is not true in New York, although there has been some talk of making changes.

Our buses are usually kept quite clean, they get swept out each night. Sounds like captain clutterbuck needs some Nora Batty's to tackle his local buses. :rolleyes:

Sounds like captain clutterbuck needs some Nora Batty's to tackle his local buses.

I certainly do , perhaps an army of Noras [ A Battylion perhaps ;)] to stop people dumping their rubbish . I am not sure about other areas of the UK but on our Buses free copies of the Metro are available and so people grab one read it on the journey and leave behind sometimes on the seat , sometimes on the bus floor the latter causes a health hazard on two fronts . The sheets provide a really slippery surface when combined with the bus floor and people inevitably stand on the paper depositing whatever they have stood on/in before they got the bus .

I thought about asking the bus company to produce a leaflet showing how you could use discarded Metro paper pages to produce some simple origami figures . Imagine that , it would keep the kids occupied on the journey and give the adults and alternative to gawping at their phone but then I thought ......................... the bus would be full of origami frogs ................ and discarded bus company leaflets :confused2:

I thought about asking the bus company to produce a leaflet showing how you could use discarded Metro paper pages to produce some simple origami figures . Imagine that , it would keep the kids occupied on the journey and give the adults and alternative to gawping at their phone but then I thought ......................... the bus would be full of origami frogs ................ and discarded bus company leaflets :confused2:

Yes, something ironic about public service messages on how to fight rubbish BECOMING rubbish, but yes, that's exactly what happens.
Actually that's more than rubbish; with that many frogs we're talking Biblical plague, here!

Yes, something ironic about public service messages on how to fight rubbish BECOMING rubbish, but yes, that's exactly what happens.

In a similar vein, Government information leaflets on recycling et al , more often than not end up straight into the recycling bin with barely a read !:confused:

In a similar vein, Government information leaflets on recycling et al , more often than not end up straight into the recycling bin with barely a read !:confused:

Exactly right! Or, every year on Earth Day how those who gather almost invariably leave the place abolutely trashed!!!

Back