Railcard Discount

Another thing to note is that check to see if you qualify for a Disabled Persons Railcard as they are cheaper than a Senior Railcard and also allow you to have a second person with you at the same 30% reduction of the standard fare.

Another thing to note is that check to see if you qualify for a Disabled Persons Railcard as they are cheaper than a Senior Railcard and also allow you to have a second person with you at the same 30% reduction of the standard fare.

It's difficult enough for an American to get a 3-year Senior Railcard. I don't qualify for a Disabled Persons' Railcard anyway, and wouldn't try applying for one even if I did.

Three-year Senior Railcards are available by mail only. Although the issuer invites non-UK residents to purchase Senior Railcards, they can't be mailed outside the UK, and the account on the web site must include UK phone number. I used to have a JT SIM for use in the UK and Europe, but it had a Jersey number so I replaced it with an O2 SIM in order to have a UK number. As soon as I had purchased the SIM, I ordered the Senior Railcard to be mailed to me in care of the lodging where I expected to be by the time it was delivered, and alerted the lodging folks to expect it. I didn't have to cut my trip short before arriving there, so it worked out well. Now I get the maximum discount to which my age entitles me.

It's difficult enough for an American to get a 3-year Senior Railcard. I don't qualify for a Disabled Persons' Railcard anyway, and wouldn't try applying for one even if I did.

Three-year Senior Railcards are available by mail only. Although the issuer invites non-UK residents to purchase Senior Railcards, they can't be mailed outside the UK, and the account on the web site must include UK phone number. I used to have a JT SIM for use in the UK and Europe, but it had a Jersey number so I replaced it with an O2 SIM in order to have a UK number. As soon as I had purchased the SIM, I ordered the Senior Railcard to be mailed to me in care of the lodging where I expected to be by the time it was delivered, and alerted the lodging folks to expect it. I didn't have to cut my trip short before arriving there, so it worked out well. Now I get the maximum discount to which my age entitles me.
Lots of hoops to jump through; sounds like it's well worth it.

Well done. Rail travel in this country with a discount is reasonable in my view.

Back