Reflecting on Truly and Frank Thornton

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
There were a lot of kind statements regarding Frank Thornton immediately after he passed. However, I think so highly over the actor and the character, I don't think we can ever honor him too much. I have had thoughts in the back of my mind about Truly for a while.

I previously mentioned that despite having great affection for so many of the cast, Truly and Clegg are my two absolute favorites. I can't quite figure out why. Most of the characters have extreme personalities in one way or another. Foggy, Billy, and Seymour with their delusions, Enwhistle and Wesley with their mechanics, Smiler with his persona of misery, etc. Also, there is the extreme sternness of the ladies. However, Truly was one of the more down to earth characters. He had a great "cool, calm, and collective" persona with his derby and trench coat. He was a great balance to the Barmpots around him.

I wonder if Truly was a more subtle character because he was more of a reflection of the actor himself than the others. I really don't know Frank Thornton but after experiencing Truly, I believe he must have been an awesome person.

I have admit that when Truely was first introduced I didn't really like him but I think he did well with 3 episodes when we lost Compo and there after seemed to on better with Clegg he's one of my favourite characters but he did grow on me.

I didn't see his funeral reported anywhere, or was it just a private affair, it would of been good to see some photo's of the old cast

Just seen the BBC dedicated an episode of Are You Being Served to Frank Thornton. Don't remember that episode but he was dressed as a woman...very funny indeed. R.I.P Frank!

I liked the way Truly was so sympathetic to Clegg when Compo died. Cleggy was grieving badly in the days after Compo`s passing and I think in these episodes a closer relationship developed between the two which was to endure throughout the remaining years.

I have admit that when Truely was first introduced I didn't really like him but I think he did well with 3 episodes when we lost Compo and there after seemed to on better with Clegg he's one of my favourite characters but he did grow on me.

I liked the way Truly was so sympathetic to Clegg when Compo died. Cleggy was grieving badly in the days after Compo`s passing and I think in these episodes a closer relationship developed between the two which was to endure throughout the remaining years.

One characteristic a lot of Summer Wine characters have is that they have certain traits and personalities intheir few few appearances. Afterwards, scripts are adjusted around them and they have changes that are often permanent. I remember another posting here a while back saying how they didn't like Truly earlier on, especially in the epsiode where he wants to be in the newspapers for saving a life and contemplates throwing a dog in the river.

Yes, I do think Truly's performance during the Triology of Compo passing was superb and helped him gain a lot more acceptance.

Liked Truly's line about 'the people you care about being next door' wheen they die as opposed to far away. Anyone know iif Frank knew Bill before LOTSW, I know he'd worked with Peter before and they were both members of the Garrick club

Back