Return of the Warrior

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Couple of things I thought was odd in this episode
1. Foggy starts off at the bus station, he then lugs his luggage all around to try and locate Compo and Cleggy, he then ends up back at the bus station, so why did he not go straight to where he was heading for in the first place, get rid of his luggage and then track them down

2. In the scene where Foggy go back to the bus station and climbs onto the steps, which then rolls off into the other bus with a crash, you see a crowd of people at another bus stop,which looks to include a bus inspector, yet none of them take any notice of what has happened

Like the "What's in Compo's matchbox" question. It's all make-believe. Real-life logic and cause-and-effect don't apply. Personally, I've stopped worrying about it and just enjoy the comedy.

In the scene where Foggy go back to the bus station and climbs onto the steps, which then rolls off into the other bus with a crash, you see a crowd of people at another bus stop,which looks to include a bus inspector, yet none of them take any notice of what has happened

I would assume that they were a group of Extras who were told to ignore anything that happened or rather if they were Extras they would be aware of what happened in advance and again would be directed to ignore it before the shot was taken . If they were Joe Public then I would assume they were on a weekend break from London where , having travelled regularly on the Bus and Tube, they are conditioned to ignore everyone and everything going on around them . :)

When he first comes off the bus he checks a taxi but isn’t willing to pay what they want. He presumably hoped to find Clegg and Compo nearby to help him take the bags home, meaning Nora’s and the Cafe are relatively close to the bus stop.

1. Foggy starts off at the bus station, he then lugs his luggage all around to try and locate Compo and Cleggy, he then ends up back at the bus station, so why did he not go straight to where he was heading for in the first place, get rid of his luggage and then track them down

2. In the scene where Foggy go back to the bus station and climbs onto the steps, which then rolls off into the other bus with a crash, you see a crowd of people at another bus stop,which looks to include a bus inspector, yet none of them take any notice of what has happened
In scene 2 maybe they thought he's just another barmpot.:)

Not having looked at a map to see where the bus station, cafe and Foggy lived. I do agree that it seems like Foggy spent more energy looking for the guys to help carry his luggage home. Than he would have spent taking the stuff straight home in the first place. It could also have been that Foggy was so excited to be back home and see his friends that he didn't mind the inconvenience of lugging the luggage about.

The second scene I don't recall well enough at the moment to comment on. Would be hilarious if the bus inspector you mention was actually Smiler / Inspector Blakey from On the Buses! :29:

Another thing I noticed is just before he climbs onto the steps he puts his bags down in front of the bus. Wouldn't have done his army office door signs any good if the bus run them over.

1a. They had trouble getting the buses, timing, permissions, etc. to film the scene and this was the only way to do it. Kind of "OK people, put your life on hold for a few minutes, we're filming!!" AND/OR
1b. They had that funny business of Foggy and his cane which had to be separated with other action from Foggy hanging from the bus. AND/OR
1C. There was the funny business of lugging the luggage which, in a heartbeat, reaffirmed Foggy's foibles and quickly reestablished him as head of the trio.

Not having looked at a map to see where the bus station, cafe and Foggy lived. I do agree that it seems like Foggy spent more energy looking for the guys to help carry his luggage home. Than he would have spent taking the stuff straight home in the first place.

I'm not sure the map means anything! ;-) Holmfirth in real life isn't Holmfirth in Summerwineland, after all. Some locations are so far away that there is no way a trio of old guys would wander that far in a day. Nor do we really know where Foggy's house is anyway. In "The Man from Oswestry" they lug his stuff up a steep hill. At the end of "Return of the Warrior" we see Foggy on an out of control bike race past Edie/Wesley's house in front of the ladies, and that was filmed in Holmbridge, not Holmfirth.

I'm not sure the map means anything! ;-) Holmfirth in real life isn't Holmfirth in Summerwineland, after all. Some locations are so far away that there is no way a trio of old guys would wander that far in a day. Nor do we really know where Foggy's house is anyway. In "The Man from Oswestry" they lug his stuff up a steep hill. At the end of "Return of the Warrior" we see Foggy on an out of control bike race past Edie/Wesley's house in front of the ladies, and that was filmed in Holmbridge, not Holmfirth.
If you look in the maps section it shows where Foggy's house is. I agree about some of the locations being far apart. In one scene they can be walking through Holmfirth then cut to a shot in Marsden. In fairness the town of Holmfirth is never mentioned by the cast but there are numerous pointers to the town via newspapers and posters in the episodes.

If you look in the maps section it shows where Foggy's house is. I agree about some of the locations being far apart. In one scene they can be walking through Holmfirth then cut to a shot in Marsden. In fairness the town of Holmfirth is never mentioned by the cast but there are numerous pointers to the town via newspapers and posters in the episodes.

And the odd bus destination sign

they can be walking through Holmfirth then cut to a shot in Marsden

For eagle eyed fans the continuity is always questioned but its not unique to this show . A classic is The Secret Birthday of Norman Clegg where we see Truly and Clegg leave Cleggy's House in Hill Street , Jackson Bridge to catch the bus .When they arrive at the stop to catch the bus and are joined by Billy they are actually on Dobb Lane, Holmbridge at the end of the street where Edie and Wesley's House is.

I find it quite fun working out where the scenes were shot. There is the well known place in Marsden beside the river where the weir is with the pipe railings. I thought for quite a while it was in Holmfirth next to the river and tried finding it on the locations map. Only to eventually find it in Marsden just around the corner from Aunty Wainwright's. When I watch the episodes I sometimes say to myself, that was shot in Holmfirth then that was shot in Marsden.

Slaithwaite also has water/railings which they have used for certain shows . I think I am right in saying they are Red railings at Marsden and Black at Slaithwaite .

I find it quite fun working out where the scenes were shot. There is the well known place in Marsden beside the river where the weir is with the pipe railings. I thought for quite a while it was in Holmfirth next to the river and tried finding it on the locations map. Only to eventually find it in Marsden just around the corner from Aunty Wainwright's. When I watch the episodes I sometimes say to myself, that was shot in Holmfirth then that was shot in Marsden.
Yes, those red railings are always the tip off that it was shot in Marsden. Also Auntie Wainwright's shop is also in Marsden. The big tip off is that the clock tower can be seen in some long shots.

Tha
Slaithwaite also has water/railings which they have used for certain shows . I think I am right in saying they are Red railings at Marsden and Black at Slaithwaite .
That is correct. Marsden's railings are next to the river and Slaithwaite's are next to the canal. Aunty's shop is literally just are the corner from the red railings.

It's late and I'm confused about the location at the river with a weir / rock dam. Usually has ducks about and a little sidewalk area by the railings overlooking the waterfall effect. Pretty sure the metal tube railings are black or dark - I think. I really like this location but it seems like some are saying it is in Marsden and others Slaithwaite. This appears definitely a river and not navigate-able like a canal. Could not get a boat over it safely, maybe 5 or so foot drop.

This has been a spot where Compo fed some ducks by getting bread from some bystanders. Think the camera was across the water then. Other shots with camera on same side of railing have been Billy and Truly standing by the railings - think Truly said something to the effect it is no good jumping. The lady in which Howard remembers his bicycle pump, Truly and Howard walk up to meet her. Another time I think the spot Howard asks Pearl why she did not give him two tomatoes for breakfast as she tells he they are out of food on the way to the store.

Believe the place has been used a few other times as well. Hope I got those examples right enough to express which place I am talking about. Please help with correct location. I would like to visit it eventually.

It's late and I'm confused about the location at the river with a weir / rock dam. Usually has ducks about and a little sidewalk area by the railings overlooking the waterfall effect. Pretty sure the metal tube railings are black or dark - I think. I really like this location but it seems like some are saying it is in Marsden and others Slaithwaite. This appears definitely a river and not navigate-able like a canal. Could not get a boat over it safely, maybe 5 or so foot drop.

This has been a spot where Compo fed some ducks by getting bread from some bystanders. Think the camera was across the water then. Other shots with camera on same side of railing have been Billy and Truly standing by the railings - think Truly said something to the effect it is no good jumping. The lady in which Howard remembers his bicycle pump, Truly and Howard walk up to meet her. Another time I think the spot Howard asks Pearl why she did not give him two tomatoes for breakfast as she tells he they are out of food on the way to the store.

Believe the place has been used a few other times as well. Hope I got those examples right enough to express which place I am talking about. Please help with correct location. I would like to visit it eventually.
The location you are talking about is in Marsden. The railings were red in earlier episodes but I guess the paint got worn off them as in later episodes the colour does look dark.

Back