ReWatching FOTSW

cciaffone

Dedicated Member
Just re-watched both series of FOTSW and really enjoyed it.
Young Cleggy is a great character as is the elder Cleggy. All
the characters nicely done, and loved seeing Maggie
Ollerenshaw. Great show.

chuck

I think after 2 series that the characters was really coming together. I would have loved to have seen it continue, at least for another series.

I would have loved to have seen it continue, at least for another series.

Yes. Maybe pick up very soon after the war with all of them, except Sherbert who was probably killed. Show them gathered on the bridge where they were standing when war was declared. Maybe have Seymour talk about starting post-secondary education at the beginning of the next term to account for his absence from the area until they were all in their sixties.

Then Norman and Compo go back to work at the Co-op until Compo's trick back kicks in, Foggy leaves immediately for his posting in Oswestry, and Wally goes back with the railroad. Perhaps Blamire turns up. Beyond that, I've run out of ideas because Norman and Wally would have settled into ordinary working blokes' married lives, which wouldn't make interesting television. Norman's marriage apparently didn't allow much leeway for roaming around with his mates on his time off from work and Wally was probably on an even shorter lead, so only Compo and Blamire would have been free to have a younger version of LOTSW adventures, but only evenings and weekends.

Yes, This show had some nice potential to it. Is a shame they did not do more with it in episodes and story telling. I was resistant to it at first. Unsure where they might go with it and if it would live up to my fondness of LotSW. After I got used to the new, younger characters I really started to enjoy the show. Compo posing as a Gypsy fortune teller lady and being dragged by the cart was hilarious.

Like Marianna's ideas although Wally would probably not have been called up as railway work was a reserved occupation and essential to keep things moving like ammunition and troops.

But there could have been the isolated scenes such as Clegg getting Edie to go camping one night on the East Lancs Road. A cameo of Majoie leaving Seymour and the failing school.

Sid marrying Ivy because of the Barley Wine - not so many episodes but there could have been a number of interestign incidents. No doubt life in the Co-op could have had some fun.

I seem to recall Nora & Ivy gossiping in the café and saying that "They" gave Wally a gun (& possibly a bayonet too) during the war. From memory there was some joking reference to a tank and men as well.
If I am right, then obviously Wally was called up....unless he was with Dad's Army?

Those sound great but given some of the stuff revealed about where the show was actually likely headed I'm not sure another season would have been satisfying. That website that has been collecting interviews with cast members suggests they were about to throw continuity with the parent show out the window had FOTSW continued.

Continuity was never he strongest part of the show ...

bit difficult when subsequently dissected ad nauseam bu aficionados ....

Do wonder if Roy Clarke was ever bothered by this?

Wonder does Roy Clarke know of this site and ever look in?

Continuity was never he strongest part of the show

I know I watched Has Anyone seen Barrie's Mid Life crisis yesterday the opening scene has Billy, Alvin, Clegg and Truly out on the Hills , immediately followed by Alvin having breakfast outside his door with the loaf on the table that matches Nora's hat . I think we have expressed the view that FOTSW had some mileage in it several times but without speaking to Roy Clarke direct we will never know if he wanted to write further series or was stopped in his tracks because the BBC pulled the plug .

I am not sure of Alan Bell alluded to anything in his book , which I still have to read, but I imagine he would also be in the know. It would be thrilling if Roy Clarke looked in as a guest from time to time , he would surely be pleased at the admiration and genuine love expressed for the show on this forum so many years after the show was cancelled. :)

Back