Series Nine

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
Series nine here we say hello to Seymour Utterthwaite. I like Uncle Of the Bride very much, I love the Wally and whippet V Nora storyline, somehow the dog matches Wally down to a tee.

I think the letdown for me in this series is Go With the Flow but have to admit the scene at the end when Compo goes in the cheese shop dressed as a mouse is very funny.

I like most of this series very much. Set the People Free is a classic but Edie and the Automobile is my favourite.

On to my favourite time. I like all this series including Uncle of the Bride. Seymour seemed to slot into the show perfectly. :42: :16:

I thought "Keeping Britain Tidy" was a good episode as was the Mysterious Feet. As for Uncle of the Bride a good intro for Seymour but I thought he had far too much exposure to the detriment of Compo and Clegg.

i thought "keeping britain tidy" was a good episode as was the mysterious feet. As for uncle of the bride a good intro for seymour but i thought he had far too much exposure to the detriment of compo and clegg.

sorry should be series 8:02:

I thought "Keeping Britain Tidy" was a good episode as was the Mysterious Feet. As for Uncle of the Bride a good intro for Seymour but I thought he had far too much exposure to the detriment of Compo and Clegg.

I have a feeling it was designed like that at first because the viewing public had become used to Foggy so throwing Seymour in could quite easily have been the downfall of Summer Wine because other show that had a change in main character never really recovered.

I have a feeling it was designed like that at first because the viewing public had become used to Foggy so throwing Seymour in could quite easily have been the downfall of Summer Wine because other show that had a change in main character never really recovered.

Good point Pearl

Big series this 12 episodes plus Christmas special which I liked. "A good bite of Yorkshire" and "Edie and the Automobile" probably my favourites.

Big series this 12 episodes plus Christmas special which I liked. "A good bite of Yorkshire" and "Edie and the Automobile" probably my favourites.
I loved 'When you take a Good Bite'. Up to this episode I hadn't taken to Seymour at all but in this episode I think he really became one of the gang. I loved the idea of them recreating the 'three pubs' adventure in honour of their friend's passing and I think it also marked the very last appearance of Joe Gladwin.

Its interesting to consider this series as a whole, particularly how long it was between the various elements. Wikipedia considers Series 9 to be "Uncle of the Bride," "Merry Christmas Father Christmas," 12 regular series episodes, and "Big Day at Dream Acres." They aired over the course of two calendar years.

What has always stuck me is that Seymour actually evolves as a character through this long run. When introduced there is zero indication that he knows or ever knew Compo and Clegg. He's also much more bossy and dismissive of them at first. Whether that was a script oversight or not, by the time you get to "When You Take a Good Bite . . ." they are referencing the fact that they all knew each other in school and are on much friendlier terms.

There are a number of good episodes in the mix but I've always liked "When You Take a Good Bite . . ." best. Mainly because its an increasingly rare episode where Clegg becomes the dominant force for the action. He's the one mostly pushing the story along and I enjoy seeing that remnant of the earlier original Clegg.

Sadly, "Big Day at Dream Acres" ends this run with such a whimper! Easily the worst long form episode they ever did, IMHO.

This series is where I thought the show really got interesting. I like a lot of what I've seen of the first 8 series, but I think Seymour and his family added so much to the show. I love Seymour's inventions, like the bicycle powered drill and his voice-activated door. Edie learning to drive in "Edie and the Automobile" is one of the highlights of the series. In later series, that little red car almost becomes a character itself, so it's really interesting to me to see its first appearances.

My favorite episodes from series 9 are, of course, "Edie and the Automobile", "Set The People Free", and "Uncle of the Bride", and also "Dried Dates and Codfanglers." I love the bit where Seymour is demonstrating the security system and yelling "codfanglers" at it in every tone of voice possible...and then in the end credits a goat bleats and the door swings open.

It's unfortunate that this is the last series with Wally Batty. We'll never again see him riding down the road on his motorbike with Nora in the sidecar.

I thought this was another great series, not far behind Series 6 and 8.

Probably one of the funniest series of all, and the first to boast such a massive number of episodes.

Jaws certainly springs to mind as one of the very best. The bit at the mill is achingly funny ('they all know me here...').

I've said it before, but Brian Wilde must have been kicking himself watching Uncle of the Bride and this series that followed.

Had Wilde been in this series, I can't imagine how big a hit this series would have been.
I only mention this as Seymour isn't everyone's favourite - but personally I thought Michael Aldridge was terrific.

Of the three series Michael Aldridge did, I think this is the best one.

Its interesting to consider this series as a whole, particularly how long it was between the various elements. Wikipedia considers Series 9 to be "Uncle of the Bride," "Merry Christmas Father Christmas," 12 regular series episodes, and "Big Day at Dream Acres." They aired over the course of two calendar years.

As far as I am concerned, Series 9 consists of those 12 regular episodes shown early 1987, and the 1986 Christmas Special Merry Christmas Father Christmas, which was made around the same time.

Back