Snooker

I have been , tried unsuccessfully to play best break a mere 16 three reds with a pink and a black . I avidly watched in its hey day Davis, White , Taylor, Higgins et al but its demise in terms of those guys no longer being at the top of the game saw my interest in watching wane .

My quest for beating my break continues there is a large club in Newcastle called the Hustler where I meet friends fairly regularly for a game but it also has pool tables [so much easier] and we tend to gravitate towards them after a short spell of snooker .

It is very convivial as it is licensed ,the one down side they have a Juke Box and top range PA system hence the spotty herberts on the other tables tend to bombard the juke box with cash and play endless Rap and what I understand to be Grime music but hey its worth the pain to the ears just to get a game now and again.

Chuck potted a red ball 1 point you then can nominate and pot any colour on the table and I somehow managed to get behind and pot the black another 7 points , potted a further red 1 more point , nominated pink ball and potted 6 points , potted another red nowhere near a colour to pot it so my turn ended with a score of 16 . When you see on the TV it looks so easy in real life the 12 foot by 6 foot table could be miles instead of feet .

Sorry, Amos. I know as little about snooker as I do of cricket. Much of that has been garnered from Brit-Coms like Monty Python, Allo Allo, Downton Abbey, Grace and Favor, etc. :confused:

Used to watch it regulalry in the days of black and white tv. Still look at it occasionally.

Often played when on four week long management courses (and I have been on quite a few of those) and a decent billiards room was part of the accoutrements of the Management Centre in Leeds. The other main ones being a bar and the croquet lawn. The Kings Fund Centre in London had a billiards room in its basement as well.

the croquet lawn
That jogged my memory Rod , only " played " Croquet once and that was on a Geography Course, whilst in the the Sixth form at School, at Ford Castle in Northumberland . My abiding memory was people developed a penchant for Roqueting [I think that's the right term] opponents balls over the Castle Battlements because the "victim" was forced to go all of the way out of the main Castle gate and around the side of the Castle to retrieve his ball.

That jogged my memory Rod , only " played " Croquet once and that was on a Geography Course, whilst in the the Sixth form at School, at Ford Castle in Northumberland . My abiding memory was people developed a penchant for Roqueting [I think that's the right term] opponents balls over the Castle Battlements because the "victim" was forced to go all of the way out of the main Castle gate and around the side of the Castle to retrieve his ball.

Yes roqueting - vicious habit! And I have even seen it done on a vicarage lawn .....

Back