Still Open All Hours Series 5

wstol

Dedicated Member
Three days ago, David Jason confirmed there will be a fifth series of Still Open All Hours.

Personally four series is enough for me, yet nonetheless I'll still watch it and for me it will still be one of the better programmes on modern TV.

So there you go!

I suppose with much of the current TV being so bad that we find this acceptable, if this had been shown back in the day as compared to the original it would not of lasted past 1 series

It just looks tired , Roy Clarke has really run out of ideas and is writing to the same formula as the series featuring Ronnie Barker but it just does't work . The supporting cast's dialogue is painfully weak, all of which beggars belief why Auntie would invest in a fifth series . I am sure its not everyone's cup of tea but I must continue to sing the praises of Inside Number 9 .

I have just watched the second episode , Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room, which , but for the briefest appearance of Sian Gibson[ Peter Kay's co star in Car Share] for a minute it was basically Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton [ the writers] and to fill 30 minutes with two actors is so difficult . It just has everything switching between passages of humour to extremely dark pathos , it is nothing short of a triumph . There is a wonderful but extremely sad twist right at the end which just adds to the whole spectacle . It could be the tale of any of our famous double acts Cannon and Ball, Little and Large the press are saying there are definitely connotations of Morecambe and Wise in terms of the storyline .

Whilst it is a completely different style of comedy it is as pioneering as Roy Clarke was in the early days of LOTSW and Open All Hours , sadly in the case of Still Open All Hours that was a long , long time ago.

In episode 3 of the current series who was the Actress who came in for bread and Granville chatted to her about the crumb fly, she does not appear in the credits that I can tell, I think I know who it is,anyone got any idea

Back