Summer Clothing

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
Went shopping today to get dad some new cardigans, it's been -1 most of the day, beginning of February and all you can buy is shorts and t shirts! Very helpful for an 83 year old man!

Ended up in Marks and Spencer, who had a very nice line in Bermuda shorts, very tropical pyjama type, but totally usless for keeping old men warm, I eventually found a small corner with some left over woolies in.

What gets me is that the winter is lasting longer but summer clothing is appearing sooner. The mind boggles has to how this retail park works.

Wife and I, here in NC USA, each have bunches of old but
serviceable jeans, sweatshirts, slacks, and sweaters to get
us thru the colder days. Have not had to purchase
new in yonks. Guess we just saved too much over
the years.

Yes Pearl, we have found much the same. Also the other way round when you want to buy some summer clothes to see the good weather out at the end of August beginning of September, the shops are full of winter clothes.:13:

Pearl,

You could try Cotton Traders certainly have sweaters and cardigans online and if there is a branch near you you can order and collect from the store , if not then delivery charge is not extortionate . Hope this helps.:)

Pearl,

You could try Cotton Traders certainly have sweaters and cardigans online and if there is a branch near you you can order and collect from the store , if not then delivery charge is not extortionate . Hope this helps.:)

Thank you captain, I'll look online. I don't mind paying for delivery. I'm just trying make dad comfortable.

Yes Pearl, we have found much the same. Also the other way round when you want to buy some summer clothes to see the good weather out at the end of August beginning of September, the shops are full of winter clothes.:13:

We were still having a heatwave through September last year, we go on holiday in September too so buying holiday clothes is tricky.

Pearl,

To paraphrase how you would ask in Geordie " Hoo did ya sorch forra Cardi gan :fp: " . I hope you managed to get your Dad sorted out.

Don't even get me started on cardigans.
All he goes on about is getting a new cardi, he hates his old cardi he hates everything, he hates all the new cardis I buy, which there have been many! so I put my foot down and refuse to buy any more new ones but he begs me get him some more and I cave, hence the reason for this post. I eventually found 2 and he loves them, success :01:
Then the other day he says, do I have any old cardis? I say, yesss? He says, good because these are too good to sit around in :13: I'll wear my old one! :fp:

So currently he's wearing his old one and the new ones are away for best :cry2:
I swear I'm going to potty well before he does. :confused:

Pearl,
I can empathise , I have those days with my Mum when I visit her at the Care Home or on the phone, lost all concept of time lots of " did I tell you" , yes you did many times over " conversations . I do not wish to denigrate her in anyway but it is becoming increasingly like a rerun of the Two Ronnie's Bert and Charlie sketches with Mum playing the Ronnie Corbett part forgetting the end of the sentence and I the Ronnie Barker character trying to second guess the missing word .

Clothes thankfully are not an issue, but toiletries especially toothpaste/toothbrushes are . Always claiming to be running short and brushes are too hard when I was up found 6 tubes of unopened toothpaste and 8 toothbrushes in packets along with 6 in her tooth cleaning mug appears my sister and I have been buying them after getting the same plea. So hard to deal with I am sure you find it the same as you remember them how they were.

My 86 year old child is exactly the same, in fact today she is out with one of her carers to buy a new skirt....for about the umpteenth time! She always goes to the same shop and never buys anything!

At the moment she is going through a marathon sitting of the original Dunkirk film in B & W... I think she has been watching it for about a month now on DVD and she forgets she has seen it. I bought her the new version just
for a change and she has watched it a couple of times.

Her big point that has to be trotted out at every occasion is that "She was there when it happened!"

I try and point out that she was only about 7 years old at the time and was in EDINBURGH, but she refuses to accept it.

As for buying multiples of the same item, it is food with mine. If we don't watch it we have to throw out stacks of perishables.

Oh well such are the joys of caring for an elderly relative.

As for buying seasonable clothing, it is much the same here, try buying a raincoat in July here....not a chance, but swimsuit???? heaps of them.

Brian, we have the same issue with Midsumer Murder every night, it starts from episode one and he gets fed up about series 17 then it' back to one again. Every night he watched 3 episodes and some times he'll say, no I watched this the other night, so now and then he'll remember it wasn't long ago he saw it but then the next episode he'll swear blind he's never seen before.

Captain, he's obsessed with paying me. He'll ask for something and pay me but forget he's paid me and pay me again which I won't take so we argue, now I just take it again and when he's not looking put it back in his wallet, this happens 3/4 times daily.
I know today will be a bad day because it would have been mams birthday so we're going to the cemetery. At least he's got a new cardi to wear.

I just got a Megellan's catalog which sells anything you need for travel including clothing. Their selections seem to be serviceable, matchable, easy to wash and wear, and in short, seem to be a good buy even if your version of travel is a weekly grocery shopping trip.

Oh yes, my 14 year old "child" with 4 paws will turn down multiple servings of his cat food for no reason at all. Lots of food goes into the bowl and then later, into the trash.

Back