Talking Heads

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
The BBC has remade the original Talking Heads monologues from the late 80's and the ones I've seen are absolutely outstanding well worth a watch, they're currently all on the BBC iPlayer.

I'm ashamed to say I've never seen these before, but the only two not to be remade are the ones which Thora Hird was originally in (a mark of respect maybe?). I've just watched A Cream Cracker Under the Settee on Dailymotion. This was made at the same time as she was in LOTSW and I have to say her straight acting is sublime and such a contrast to Edie. She has to be in the top 10 of the best actors of all time. I've attached the link below for anyone who wants to watch her amazing and touching performance.

The official reason they're not remaking her monologues is the directors are not able to use actors over the age of 70, I reckon if LOTSW had lasted until now the current situation would have ended the series for good.

The BBC has remade the original Talking Heads monologues from the late 80's and the ones I've seen are absolutely outstanding well worth a watch, they're currently all on the BBC iPlayer.

I'm ashamed to say I've never seen these before, but the only two not to be remade are the ones which Thora Hird was originally in (a mark of respect maybe?). I've just watched A Cream Cracker Under the Settee on Dailymotion. This was made at the same time as she was in LOTSW and I have to say her straight acting is sublime and such a contrast to Edie. She has to be in the top 10 of the best actors of all time. I've attached the link below for anyone who wants to watch her amazing and touching performance.

You say Thora Hird was in two Talking Heads. Which was the other?

I'd heard great things about this so yesterday I was happy to find them on catch up, I watched all 12 and loved most of them, one had a subject matter I find uncomfortable, I was particularly looking forward to the Jody Cormer episode but was a bit disappointed, the rest were outstanding. Loved the Martin Freedman episode. After I'd watched them I found The Lady in the Van on Netflix, another Alan Bennett staring Maggie Smith, I highly recommend it. I must watch the Thora Hurd one on YouTube, I think I saw it many years ago but can't remember it.

I wasn't that keen on the Martin Freeman one of the episodes I've seen, Alan Bennett himself played the character in the original, and he was much more believable as the character IMO. The Thora Hird ones are utterly outstanding, the second one is extremely poignant

Never seeing Alan Bennett's version I don't know but I'll see if it's on YouTube.

Clearly Dame Thora Hird was a perfect choice to deliver one of Alan Bennett's wonderful tales do you think any other members of the LOTSW cast would provide an equally memorable performance.

Clearly Dame Thora Hird was a perfect choice to deliver one of Alan Bennett's wonderful tales do you think any other members of the LOTSW cast would provide an equally memorable performance.
I think Jean Alexander would have been brilliant in one, she was an amazing straight actress. The scenes she filmed when her husband, Stan died in Corrie were awesome.

I also think Brian Wilde would have been excellent, I thought he was the best male actor in the entire series, he always seemed to underact any parts.

Back