The changing face of rural...Holmfirth

Living vicariously through your pics, Pete. Thanks again. :)

That is a fairly rough and steep road to be chasing after a mangle which has a hold of your tie! It's got a grip like the bite of a donkey. Believe Seymour said that about someone's handshake, yet think it applies here too.

Hmm, that seems a recurring theme. Neck piece caught in a wheeled something. Foggy with his scarf in the cart wheel. Seymour with the mangle. Didn't Truly get his tie caught in a wagon axle while they were at a pub trying to find out where the squeak was? Think Auntie was later on the ground working the underside of the cart to fix it. Have I missed any others?

The area where the Mangle episode is shot to me as famous as the Cafe and Nora's as it has appeared in so many of the episodes . It was Alan J W Bell's location to go to and an area so many stars of our show , including guest stars like Roy Hudd , have trampled over . I will never know but why there?? One of a thousand questions I imagine we all have if we were ever privileged to meet him or others associated with the show. Thank you so much Pete for taking a break and expending such effort to produce this superb set of photographs . :)

I know cap,to me too it is just as famous as the Cafe' and Noras steps,I love visiting there,I can still feel the cast there when I go,as strange as that sounds,there were so many scenes filmed there over the years,there and the bench on Butterley Lane (one of the very few real and permanent benches used in filming) are my favourite outdoor locations to visit,I remember reading Alan Bells book and he describes how he came across this lovely area by accident and immediately knew it was just right,if you were to visit you would recognise all the surrounding area and lanes too,but you would have to know where to drive to and where to walk to reach them all,you can't get to them from Holmfirth itself,if you ever visit I would love to be your guide for a few hours and that offer goes out to everyone on here.As I took the photo,behind me are where three lanes join and you would also immediately recognise that area too.
Thankyou so much for your kind comments and for taking the time to post them,will do another walk soon,I already have some "then" shots from the 1970's in Holmfirth with some startling changes.
Take care.

The same place as the police car and Lenny trying to get out his chains is also the same place Barry was caught by Entwhistle, Alvin and Hobbo trying to hide his painting in the episode Look Whose Wheel's Come Off in the last series.

There have been lots of scenes filmed at that spot over many years Adrian,it's at New Mill which is the area you can see from Howard's garden,it's the place Barry and Glenda rode down on the trays too,and recently where Hobbo sang the Roly Poly song,I took this photo on my previous visit there,its just few steps from the Police car and I'm sure you will recognise it.20160823_104843-1032x581.jpg

Back