The changing face of rural...Holmfirth

Discussion in 'A Spot for Members Photo's' started by Pete., Oct 25, 2017.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Emma

Emma Active Member

Oh, you're going to be sorry you asked. There are so many areas I would love to explore.

There are several spots I would like to see, if I had the chance. One of them is no longer there. Another forum member posted photos of a dwelling that looked to have been dug into a wall. One episode that showed it was Who's That Dancing With Nora Batty. I was disappointed to see that it had been razed, and filled in with dirt. It's now just part of the hillside. I had always wondered about its historical significance.

Another area is outside the Butcher's Arms Pub. If you're standing with your back to the pub, there is a wall on the left side of the street. What buildings are above that wall? Is it the site of Norman Clegg's, and the Sibshaw's second house? I understand that both their first and second houses are private property, and visitors may not be welcomed. I'm just curious.

Another episode showed the path that led down a hill to the right of Hobbo's house. Where does it lead? It looked like a somewhat steep, grass covered hill.

There are steps that go down in front of the Sibshaw's and Clegg's second houses. Where do they lead? I think the places they lived in were used as housing for mill workers.

In the episode The Empire That Foggy Nearly Built, what are remnants of those buildings? Were they woollen mills? What businesses were housed in the other buildings across the street?

After Alvin (Brian Murphy) joined the show, he is shown being towed by Entwistle, in an office chair. Is the house that sits at the intersection occupied? It looks to be abandoned.

Is the house where Mr. Walter Ridley lived a single family dwelling?

I have so many more questions, but for now, I'll just leave it at that. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 3:11 PM
  2. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

Bless you Emma,thanks so much,if you look back over the posts I'v posted quite a few photos over the years,I know the area quote well,it's my walking ground and I usually know every exact location when I watch the episodes,I'm going over to Holmfirth next week,tell me where you would like some now photos of and I will take them and post them just for you,and if you are ever able to come over,I would love to be your guide to all the hidden locations that you would know so well.
    Thanks again,Pete x

Emma likes this.
  3. Emma

Emma Active Member

Pete,
    Thank you so much for these photos. You have a great eye for detail. I can't believe that you could find the exact spots, comparing new to old. Since it seems that I will never have the chance to visit LOTSW country in person, it felt as though you had posted them just for me. Thanks again, from across the Big Pond.

Pete. likes this.
  4. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

There have been lots of scenes filmed at that spot over many years Adrian,it's at New Mill which is the area you can see from Howard's garden,it's the place Barry and Glenda rode down on the trays too,and recently where Hobbo sang the Roly Poly song,I took this photo on my previous visit there,its just few steps from the Police car and I'm sure you will recognise it. 20160823_104843-1032x581.jpg

captain clutterbuck likes this.
  5. Adrian Morris

Adrian Morris New Member

The same place as the police car and Lenny trying to get out his chains is also the same place Barry was caught by Entwhistle, Alvin and Hobbo trying to hide his painting in the episode Look Whose Wheel's Come Off in the last series.

captain clutterbuck and Pete. like this.
  6. captain clutterbuck

captain clutterbuck Well-Known Member

Thank you for the kind offer Pete might take you up on that hoping to get down early spring next year will keep in touch by mail

Pete. likes this.
  7. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

Ps,
    Regarding that offer of visiting there,you don't have to walk miles,I know the lanes and would be able to park right next to it.
    Again that offer is open to all Summer Wine friends on here.

8. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

I know cap,to me too it is just as famous as the Cafe' and Noras steps,I love visiting there,I can still feel the cast there when I go,as strange as that sounds,there were so many scenes filmed there over the years,there and the bench on Butterley Lane (one of the very few real and permanent benches used in filming) are my favourite outdoor locations to visit,I remember reading Alan Bells book and he describes how he came across this lovely area by accident and immediately knew it was just right,if you were to visit you would recognise all the surrounding area and lanes too,but you would have to know where to drive to and where to walk to reach them all,you can't get to them from Holmfirth itself,if you ever visit I would love to be your guide for a few hours and that offer goes out to everyone on here.As I took the photo,behind me are where three lanes join and you would also immediately recognise that area too.
    Thankyou so much for your kind comments and for taking the time to post them,will do another walk soon,I already have some "then" shots from the 1970's in Holmfirth with some startling changes.
    Take care.

Emma, gothic, RickAns and 2 others like this.
  9. captain clutterbuck

The area where the Mangle episode is shot to me as famous as the Cafe and Nora's as it has appeared in so many of the episodes . It was Alan J W Bell's location to go to and an area so many stars of our show , including guest stars like Roy Hudd , have trampled over . I will never know but why there?? One of a thousand questions I imagine we all have if we were ever privileged to meet him or others associated with the show. Thank you so much Pete for taking a break and expending such effort to produce this superb set of photographs . :)

Pete. likes this.
  10. RickAns

RickAns Well-Known Member

Living vicariously through your pics, Pete. Thanks again. :)

That is a fairly rough and steep road to be chasing after a mangle which has a hold of your tie! It's got a grip like the bite of a donkey. Believe Seymour said that about someone's handshake, yet think it applies here too.

Hmm, that seems a recurring theme. Neck piece caught in a wheeled something. Foggy with his scarf in the cart wheel. Seymour with the mangle. Didn't Truly get his tie caught in a wagon axle while they were at a pub trying to find out where the squeak was? Think Auntie was later on the ground working the underside of the cart to fix it. Have I missed any others?

Pete. likes this.
  11. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

That's it for now,I'll call in the forum again when I have some more photos to share.
    I love this bench,every time I pass by I sit here and have a drink,and think about all the wonderful people and characters that have sat here before me.
    Take care
    Pete. 20170713_115910-1032x581.jpg 20171026_123037-1032x581.jpg

12. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

Passing another pub on my way back and again it's a very familiar one with some lovely warm memories 20171026_143714-2-769x406.jpg

13. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

No sign of any law enforcers parked in isolated remote spots today I'm affraid. 20171013_121034-1-745x419.jpg 20171026_130845-1032x581.jpg

14. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

15. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

20171018_120710-1-753x414.jpg 20171026_131136-1-745x419.jpg

dick likes this.
  16. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

Get out of that then,filmed quite recently in 2008 but it will always be beautiful here,even on a dank day like today 20171018_120806-1-757x412.jpg 20171026_130958-1-745x419.jpg

captain clutterbuck and Marianna like this.
  17. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

Cheers Captain,I really felt like I was living an episode.Thoroughly enjoyed it Thankyou.

dick likes this.
  18. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

One of my favourite places,here filmed in 1989 when Seymour gets his tie stuck in the runaway mangle,the hill to the left has been fenced off but you can still get wherever you want. 20171019_165451-1-759x411.jpg 20171026_115131-1032x581.jpg

captain clutterbuck and Marianna like this.
  19. captain clutterbuck

Great pics Pete looks like you had a nice day for a walk thank you for sharing them with us very much appreciated.

Pete. likes this.
  20. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

When driving along these winding Summer Wine lanes don't believe everything the Sat Nav tells you,fortunately I was on foot and know the area really well 20171026_123940-1032x581.jpg

Marianna and captain clutterbuck like this.