The changing face of rural...Holmfirth

Hi Emma,yes it's in all the early episodes situated in Victoria Park but as you say it's been completely removed now and there's just a grassy slope with no evidence it had ever been there,I'm not sure where the arch is that Marianna is referring to if it's not the one in the Foggy scene by the bus stop,I'v looked on Google earth and can't see another entrance but I'll take a look next week.
Hi Captain,you are absolutely right mate it's from the episode What happened to Barrys nose and it's the same place,I'm working Monday and going to Sheffield United's match Tuesday,so hopefully will get chance to visit Wed or Thurs.

Hi Emma,yes it's in all the early episodes situated in Victoria Park but as you say it's been completely removed now and there's just a grassy slope with no evidence it had ever been there,I'm not sure where the arch is that Marianna is referring to if it's not the one in the Foggy scene by the bus stop,I'v looked on Google earth and can't see another entrance but I'll take a look next week.
Hi Captain,you are absolutely right mate it's from the episode What happened to Barrys nose and it's the same place,I'm working Monday and going to Sheffield United's match Tuesday,so hopefully will get chance to visit Wed or Thurs.

According to the newspaper article, the structure was relocated in 2012, after the Google Earth image was made. Although the copyright date on the image is 2017, the Streetview image was made in 2009.

There have been lots of scenes filmed at that spot over many years Adrian,it's at New Mill which is the area you can see from Howard's garden,it's the place Barry and Glenda rode down on the trays too,and recently where Hobbo sang the Roly Poly song,I took this photo on my previous visit there,its just few steps from the Police car and I'm sure you will recognise it.View attachment 1778

This is where we filmed a couple of the Cooper & Walsh promo video's a couple of years back

Although not Summer Wine,I have a few old photos of Holmfirth and thought I'd add them to my other photos as the thread is about the changing face of the town,this is a lovely little shop called The Gift Horse,round about 1910 it was called Lodges,the ornate Wesleyan Chapel nearby was built in 1872 and demolished a hundred years later
20171119_130432.jpg 20171123_094910-1032x581.jpg

I had a bit of trouble identifying this today,in fact I had to ask the owner of the Gift Horse if he recognised it and he did,you can't miss it,it's right on the corner at the traffic lights at the junctions of Victoria Street and Huddersfield Road,once I saw the chapel style of the shop in the right I could see it was the right spot
20171118_221219-1.jpg 20171123_122008-1-669x376.jpg

I had more trouble finding this exact spot more than any,and that's because more windows have been added over the years so I had to look at closer details,next to the gutter on one of the properties is some brickwork like a row of blocks,and next to it to the left the wall is slightly angled,leading to a property with different protruding brickwork,and it all matched.I'm 1910 it was a big deal when you saw a photographer as you can see he has drawn a crowd of children,also happens to be outside a confectioners
20171119_144229.jpg 20171123_095049-1032x581.jpg

Excellent then and now photo's...can't imagine you'd last more than 30 seconds standing in the middle of Victoria St these days!!!

Back