The changing face of rural...Holmfirth

When you come out of the Summer Wine library,and walk with your back to it,it is a large car park and the co-op,years ago there was a huge brick building there before the co-op was built,you see it a lot in the Blamire episodes,this is the last time I saw it,in 1991 with Smiler walking towards it
20171025_161230-1-763x409.jpg 20171123_094630-1032x581.jpg

I know I'v posted this before a while back,but I walked past it today and couldn't help but take another photo,every time I walk past this tree I see this scene,it's where Compo gave the full blast of his (fading) sexual magnetism to Nora,taken in 1993 and today20171122_134301-1-751x416.jpg 20171123_102025-1032x581.jpg

The bench where Foggy and Cleggy are sat observing and applauding Compos attempt at full sexual magnetism towards Nora is a prop,a few yards away though there is a bench,it's facing the other way towards the river Holme,you can see the magnetism tree as I call it,quite near by
20171123_102133-1032x581.jpg

Emma I did take these especially for you !
It's the site of that building in Victoria park,you can still see the foundations of it in the grass,and the view looking down into Holmfirth,it was quite rainy by now but I think the photos are ok,in my next visit I'll try and find the 8th C doorway arch that was part of it and was moved
20171123_114818-1032x581.jpg 20171123_114927-1032x581.jpg

Pete,

You have surpassed yourself this time what an absolutely brilliant collection of photographs . I love old photographs and the ones of early Holmfirth would be outstanding on their own but when you team them with those you took today it offers a great pictorial history of where it all started with our beloved show . I think like you most fans , including myself, would find it hard to hold back the tears when stood in front of the sadly departed stars of our favourite show . Thank you so , so much for taking the time to walk around in such inclement weather to bring us the pictures .

Last edited:
Pete,

You have surpassed yourself this time what an absolutely brilliant collection of photographs . I love old photographs and the ones of early Holmfirth would be outstanding on their own but when you team them with those you took today it offers a great pictorial history of where it all started with of beloved show . I think like you most fans , including myself, would find it hard to hold back the tears when stood in front of the sadly departed stars of our favourite show . Thank you so , so much for taking the time to walk around in such inclement weather to bring us the pictures .
And that post Captain,just made it all worthwhile.
Thank you so much xx

Excellent then and now photo's...can't imagine you'd last more than 30 seconds standing in the middle of Victoria St these days!!!
I know ferret,I thought that,the traffic was non stop,had to wait ages till there was a gap when the cars weren't obscuring the buildings,and it was raining !!

Back