The changing face of rural...Holmfirth

To take this photo I'm stood outside the gates of the Memorial park near Sids Cafe and the river and ducks (and Magnetism tree).
Bamforths had a shop and photographers,shown here,next to the postcard works,it's such an eyesore at the moment, I hope it looks nice when it's finished,I don't know what the plans are but obviously there's lots of work going on there.
View attachment 1878 View attachment 1879

The plan is to convert the building to flats and to put a new block of flats on the open land next to it, with parking at ground level. Somewhere on the forum there's one of my posts with either a link or an image of the information that I found on the web.

It's good to see progress on the original building. There was no scaffolding up when I was there in September, and the roof still looked in a very bad state.

This is the top of Victoria Street at its junction with Huddersfield Road,today it's a very busy junction with traffic lights,it doesn't look the same place,my point of reference for this photo was the chapel type building which is now a shop and the distinctive windows on the side,you cant see them on today's photo but they were there and it's the same junction.
e7bfd097e09f70756859d3f950510bfe--the-top-victoria-1.jpg 20171204_110216-1032x581.jpg

Victoria Street at its junction with Huddersfield Road,the building with the triangular roof and three windows was my reference point for this,it's interesting to see that the hairdressers is still a hairdressers.
20171124_155800.jpg 20171204_121042-1-701x378.jpg

... a tunnel like entrance in the wall,although that's not apparent in this photo.
View attachment 1880 View attachment 1881

Are you referring to the niche containing the town pump? Or have I missed something in all my hanging about near the South Lane & Dunford Road intersection. I lodge at The Rooms At The Nook, and the route from the guests' entrance to the street comes out nearly opposite to that niche, hence the "hanging about".

I love this old photo,it's my favourite,it's hard to believe I'm standing in the same place,the Kemp umbrella shop has gone as have many of the buildings,and I'm looking straight ahead as was the original photographer at South Lane and it's distinctive niche that holds the town pump (thanks Marianna I didn't know)
781a5cfbae8e3bd3513ae42136de4bbd--aldea-the-building.jpg 20171204_110732-2-341x627.jpg

Around the side of the library in 1990 and this morning,it was then,as it is today,the Holmfirth Methodist Church.
20171127_125809-1-750x417.jpg 20171204_101452-1032x581.jpg

Once again Pete great pictures and a lot of work there compiling old and new,thanks for all your efforts
Thanks so much Terry,it took me all day to take them and all evening to post them,but it's a great way of showing the town to folk who can't get here.

Are you referring to the niche containing the town pump? Or have I missed something in all my hanging about near the South Lane & Dunford Road intersection. I lodge at The Rooms At The Nook, and the route from the guests' entrance to the street comes out nearly opposite to that niche, hence the "hanging about".
Yes,thanks Marianna I didn't know.

Great pictures Pete!:03: I see Cleggy's bike was there even then ! ;)
Thanks so much Dick,I don't plan on taking any more old photos though,it was just a way of showing around the town as is it today to people who may not get chance to visit,thanks again much appreciated.

Wonderful photos Pete the most poignant one to me is actually the one outside Castle Motors and that simply is because that trench to effect the repair would have been dug by those men with good honest graft and shovels . I can see tubes running over the road which suggests they would have had pneumatic drill to break up the tarmac but what is done by JCB in a matter of a couple of hours at worst probably took them a day at least to dig out .

I'm stood on the same steps as the original photographer who took the photo in 1910,it's on Hollowgate where Compos bookies and Shades of China is,if you look carefully you can see that Nora Battys predecessor has her washing hanging out,could it be Noras Mum or Gran,is Compos Dad living next door ? View attachment 1884 View attachment 1885
Thank you! These photos are amazing. I don't think any buildings here, locally, that existed in the 1900s are still around today.

The photo with the cattle looks like one I took in Montana. I titled it "Rush Hour in Polson." No cars, but real cowboys on horseback, and cattle in the streets. Amazing.

Aside from the wonderful architecture in the old photos it is fascinating to see how the people are dressed . The fact that children and men all wear Flat caps indicate , by the sheer numbers , that being a Hatter/Milliner in those days must have made you a very rich person .

Wonderful pics Pete, I love summer wine dearly, Ive stayed in Nora's house and the White Horse with my wife and family, I visit and holiday there as much as I can and see as much as I can, I bumped into Alan Bell and he signed his book for me, what a lovely man.

...for those abroad or unable to make the walk I thought I'd share just a few photos,Pete.

Thank you!

Back