The diaries of Norman Clegg.

Jeremy

Just got hold of series 27/28.
Still very funny stuff although it seems some of the basic ideas (plots) have been used before, just with different actors and different settings.
I noticed in some of the episodes from series 27/28 that Norman Clegg is typing his old diaries up which of course gives rise to some memory problems for Norman.
Now the question: Have the diaries of Norman Clegg ever been published in book form as a spin off product from the dvd series. His diaries would undoubtedly make funny and interesting reading.

Cheers Jeremy.

I hadn't noticed Clegg typing his old diaries.

Of course, occasionally throughout the run of the series, we did see Clegg 'catching the passing moment' as he updated his diary.

A book consisting of Clegg's diaries would be a fantastic thing to buy.

The nearest we got was Roy Clarke's Summer Wine Country, but this concentrates on pictures of landscapes etc.

Of course, in FOTSW he was writing a diary too.

Can anyone name the episodes where we saw Clegg writing his diary??

There are 2 books which are written as a diary by Norman Clegg. Both are very good. "Summer Wine Country" by Roy Clarke (beautiful photographs of the Yorkshire countryside) and a BBC book "A Country Companion by Clegg, Foggy & Compo".

Thanks for the pointer to A Country Companion. There are 56 offers for it on Amazon.co.uk at a broad range of prices. I've just ordered one of the used — very good condition ones @ £0.01 plus £6.94 shipping to the States. Worth every pence and much, much more!

There's also Summer Wine and Vintage Years: A Cluttered Life
by Bill Owen. I have several other SW books if you want any
info. There are several by Clarke that are basically SW episodes
but with differences. Then there are a number about the making
of the show itself.

Here's a list of what I think is my collection of SW books:

Last of the Summer Wine Roy Clarke Coronet (pb) 1974
The Moonbather A Summer Wine Chronicle Roy Clarke Andre Deutsch 1987
Gala Week A Summer Wine Chronicle Roy Clarke Andre Deutsch 1986
Last of the Summer Wine Richard Webber Harper Collins 2009
Summer Wine and Vintage Years: A Cluttered Life Bill Owen Robson Books 1994
The Making of the Vintage Years of LOTSW Malcolm Howarth (pb)
Last of the Summer Wine Andrew Vine Aurum 2010
Last of the Summer Wine: A Country Companion Clegg Foggy Compo BBC Books 1992
Summer Wine Country Roy Clarke Bloomsbury Books London 1989
Last of the Summer Wine: The Finest Vintage Norris Bright & Robert Ross BBC Books (hb) 2000
Last of the Summer Wine Norris Bright & Robert Ross (pb) BBC Books 2003

Clegg's diary and musings would make make an excellent book. Or possibly a great spin off of the series.

Cheers,
Rick

I hadn't noticed Clegg typing his old diaries.

Of course, occasionally throughout the run of the series, we did see Clegg 'catching the passing moment' as he updated his diary.

A book consisting of Clegg's diaries would be a fantastic thing to buy.

The nearest we got was Roy Clarke's Summer Wine Country, but this concentrates on pictures of landscapes etc.

Of course, in FOTSW he was writing a diary too.

Can anyone name the episodes where we saw Clegg writing his diary??
They were sitting in the laundromat waiting for the spin cycle to end and Clegg pulled out his little notebook and made a note.

The book Summer Wine Country is written as though Clegg is writing the story and they match the pictures perfectly one especially obviously with Seymour its shopping day and smartened the scruffy one but Seymour walked in front not acknowliging their prescence when he met a person he knew.The book is marvellous it cheers me up on a dull day and then four o,clock on Gold one and a half hours of real entertainment.

The book Summer Wine Country is written as though Clegg is writing the story and they match the pictures perfectly one especially obviously with Seymour its shopping day and smartened the scruffy one but Seymour walked in front not acknowliging their prescence when he met a person he knew.The book is marvellous it cheers me up on a dull day and then four o,clock on Gold one and a half hours of real entertainment.

Yes Chris it is a book I often get off the shelf to cheer me up too.:)

I´ve only got as far as dvd 2 in series 27 but so far there have been three episodes concerning Clegg and diary writing. Of course there may be more in series 28.
The three so far are: Has anyone seen a Peruvian wart ?, Hermmione (the short course) and The afterthoughts of a co-op manager.

Just ordered Summerwine country from Abe Books in England.
Should be landing in about 14 days.
Very much looking forward to reading it.

Back