The irony!

Marianna, I am very jealous. We have something like about 8 4x8 foot bookcases
lying about taking up room and housing hard-copy books we don't use that often any more.

Curious how you got your hard-copy collection way way down like that.
Did you sell them? Discard them? I have not been able to find a way
to donate or discard that many hard copy books.

I think it's on similar lines to the CD vs Vinyl argument, some people seem to prefer Vinyl for any number of reasons [sound, sleeve notes etc] some people prefer the physical handling of books to downloaded copy.

This is probably heresy to most people, but I've solved the greater part of the problem by purchasing eBooks whenever possible (or borrowing them from my local public library), and donating my hard-copies to the Friends of the Library to sell and use the money to support the library. An added benefit of the eBook format is that I find that it's much easier to hold a Kindle Paperwhite and to turn the pages than to hold a hard-copy book. Now my much smaller hard-copy collection consists mostly of very old books and of ones related to LOTSW or Holme Valley history that aren't available in e-format.
The local St John Ambulance has a book fair every year with proceeds going to them to buy medical equipment. I gave 17 banana boxes (600mm x 400mm or 24in x 16in) to them two years ago and 12 of the same boxes this year. Yet I still keep on running out of shelf space. :(

Are these empty banana boxes or boxes of bananas?
They are empty until I fill them. The local St John put a notice in the paper saying the book fair is coming soon so I go around to them and get the empty boxes, take them home then make about three trips back to them.

Back